Is there any way to (disable) and enable safe mode? I am going to stay out at college. For Security Reasons, I would like to disable safe mode so people cannot easily access my computer.

I RATHER NOT DISABLE IT THIS WAY.

How do I disable Safe Mode? (NT, 2000, XP)

Windows NT, 2000 and XP do not have any easy way to disable Safe Mode. However, there is a way to 'break' safe mode temporarily.

Doing this is not recommended. Proceed at your own risk!

Click on the Start Button

Select Run

Type in "regedit" and hit OK

Expand the left hand side to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot

Under SafeBoot, you should now see Minimal and Network. Click on them and hit F2 to rename them to "Minimal-" and "Network-", respectively.

I know Security Administrator has that option. For some reason, the program does not work on my system.

Why not set a password in the Bios so they can't access it at all?

HOW DO i set bios password?

Also how do I make users press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before you can log in?

This option failed for me

Salute before you log on

Setting your PC so that it requires you to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before you log on to Windows protects your computer from Trojan horse programs, which can imitate log-on screens and trick you into revealing your user name and password. Using the "three-finger salute" ensures that you see the authentic Windows log-on screen. To enable this setting for a computer connected to a network domain, log on as the administrator, open the User Accounts Control Panel as described above, and click the Advanced tab. Under Secure Logon, check the option Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Then click OK.

if you set an admin password, isn't it pretty hard to get in? They would have to do some serious hacking.

Here's how it goes...

If you set a Windows XP password on the Home Version or even on 2000 PRO, it can be cracked in a minute using a simple floppy disc tool.

Windows XP Pro passwords can be obtained by booting off a Linux CD, navigating to the sytem32 folder and getting the NT password HASH (which can be Bruteforce attacked quickly if it's simple, dictionary word, simple phrase, ect)

A BIOS password will prevent all computer access (without a password) but I believe the CMOS being cleared on some MOBO's will delete your password.

So... it's a little ominous, but I'd go with the BIOS password (check to see if clearing your CMOS deletes the password, it doesn't in ALL computers)

How do I set a screen saver password?

This article http://www.comptechdoc.org/docs/ctdp/screensav/ instructions do not work. The password protect option is grayed out and my screen saver has no options.

So you know: Not all screensavers have a password option, hence it will be greyed out for those.

I wouldn't rely on a screensaver password (it's OK for keeping the screen contents private when you step away from the system for a moment) but if you ever need one keep trying different screensavers 'til you find one with this option.

The BIOS password would prevent most casual users from accessing the system: During bootup press the key combination for your system to access the BIOS (you may see the combination displayed in the text that scrolls during bootup, or you can do a web search for something like: <brand & model of your system>, enter BIOS).

if you set an admin password, isn't it pretty hard to get in? They would have to do some serious hacking.

Quoting

If you set a Windows XP password on the Home Version or even on 2000 PRO, it can be cracked in a minute using a simple floppy disc tool.

This is what I am afraid of.

Edited by ms1033

Even if I set a bios password,

Heres the thing I hibernate my desktop computer, hardly shut it down or restart it.

The bios password will help with booting my system and safe mode.

If I already am in Windows, the bios password is useless.

I leave my computer on, though I lock it, Win key + L

With XP Home SP2

I HAVE A FEELING IT COULD BE CRACKED

HOW DO I STOP THAT FROM OCCURING?????????????????????????????????????????????

Will the bios password show when I resume hibernation?

BIOS password, Admin password in XP, (even root password on a Linux box) -

all can be easily bypassed.

If you have physical access to a machine, you own that machine. period.

If you really don't want anyone to use it, remove the hard drive and take it with you.

Or you could encrypt sensitive data with Truecrypt.

and there'll be no way for anyone to see it.

The only thing I can tell you is lock the computer up in a secure room. Me, I would shut the computer down when I was away and have a Bios password on it. If they are that desparate to remove the cover and pull the Cmos battery to bypass the password then I would be placing a severe beating on those individuals. People think twice once hospitalized.

Terrorist, don't some computers store the password on the BIOS chip so that clearing the CMOS won't do it? I think that is the case with some (at lease some laptops for certain)

Worst case, just mess with the MBR and boot Windows off a floppy!

Edited by xxkbxx
Even if I set a bios password,

Heres the thing I hibernate my desktop computer, hardly shut it down or restart it.

The bios password will help with booting my system and safe mode.

If I already am in Windows, the bios password is useless. ...

If you're actually LEAVING it'd be fine to shut it off, wouldn't it? I know that's not your habit, but the entire reason you're looking for some security is because you're doing something unusual, which I'd say justifies shutting it down this time.

As for the BIOS password I have to agree with some others that anyone willing to disassemble your case, find & remove the CMOS battery, wait, reinsert it, restart the system, hope no custom BIOS settings were necessary for the system to run, THEN access your system (after cracking whatever OS security is is place too), then Jeez, let 'em have it.

As another said, the ONLY way to secure the system is to physically lock it up (and you know locks can be picked too, how paranoid do you want to be?).

If you were running XP Pro you could set a password protected screensaver that initiates upon wake up from hibernation.

Yea I dont have xp pro

I guess you all are right CAN ALWAYS BE CRACKED

Now I am wondering, Anyway I don't think your joking

Should I set bios password

even if

''remove the cover and pull the Cmos battery to bypass the password''

or as many said

may be just use Win Key + L and stop being paranoid?

My only question still is about disabling safe mode?

You say you want to disable safe mode....but what happens if you have a situation where you absolutely have to be able to get into safe mode to fix your computer or trouble shoot it? What if you had to boot into safe mode right from start up? So it seems to me perhaps since that might be more likely to happen than someone breaking into your system past a very well designed password to log on and with encrypted files in addition that you would be setting yourself up for trouble if you disable safe mode.

And what is this deal about not shutting your computer off but leaving it in hibernate....that piece of convenience doesn't seem to fit with your "paranoid" feeling of impending computer file theft (I would worry more about losing a laptop somewhere myself being somewhat absentminded). I am wondering just what is so very important on your computer that you feel you need extreme measures to keep this info safe? Credit card numbers or other financial info? That is available in your wallet or your mail, heck with the way our private info is being endangered by irresponsible companies, government agencies, health insurers, and many other outfits that could care less about our rights to not have our data fall in the wrong hands, it seems almost like there is nothing we can ultimately do to be safe no matter how much we try. Sure use safety measures with all private info wherever it is stored, on computers, in paperwork, or mail, (shredding private stuff instead of tossing in garbage/recycling for all the world to be able to find). Run a very good internet security suite, have a rightly configured router if possible in your dorm room, and set up your computer to be as safe as possible from any and all the things that could get into your system or endanger your info such as keyloggers, malware, spyware, adware, virus, trojans etc that might attack. Also have a UPS with surge control to protect computer from electrical problems such as brownouts, blackouts, or power outages that have surges going down or coming up again etc. Oh another thing be sure to back up your important stuff often, especially your school work, to flash drives...yes you can buy secure ones. Remember the more common dangers of computing are what can get into your computer from internet, plus various computer software or hardware malfunctions jeapordizing your data, so backup backup backup!!! Address the common ordinary possibilities before getting paranoid over someone breaking into your computer.

Have you considered a fingerprint reader identification thing to put on your computer? I am not sure how they would attach, the others here would have to tell you, but that might relieve your anxiety a bit.

But be sure to also take the more normal precautions too, especially having a very good password, turning off your computer, and skipping that hibernation mode thing. If you plan to be away from your computer or even just carrying laptop somewhere, just give yourself time to turn it off, then start it back up by using your password. Also consider user accounts with passwords, don't just run it in admin account.

By the way hope all goes well with you in college and I hope it will be a rewarding great experience for you.

Pat

God bless everyone

If you feel justified in your paranoia then I'd recommend doing a websearch for a hardware solution -- There are devices which all you have to do is unplug a dongle (or similar device) when you leave the system. Unlike just setting a password they cost money, they must be installed by someone with a certain level of skill, and whatever they actually DO can be UNDONE by an absolutely determined person with some engineering skills, but most people will have no idea what's been done or how to undo it. To them your system will simply appear to be dead.

Have you been able to access the BIOS to see if it even has a password option?