does any one on the board use both avg and avast on the same sys and if so is there any conflict.between the two.iread where you can use both together.

but my Q. how you stop the conflict if any.

im curious .is why i ask.

i just read a post on WS. a poster said i use both.but didnt give any detail

i was led to believe two av scanners on the one sys werent compatable.

marty

Hey Marty just as a gas when you have some time you should try the trial version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal version. We use it at work and it is very fast and see to really be on top of things. Of course it's not a free program but worth trying if you have the time to mess with it..........

Two Av's? I have heard of them detecting each others definitions and updates as virii before........

I don't recomend having 2 antiviruses at the same time at all, but others would disagree. Here's how they work out the conflicts. They use just one as their main antivirus; turning off the other's ability to start at boot up. When you wish to use that antivirus to scan, you have to turn off your "regular" antivirus.

hey il_wiccan

my isp uses Kaspersky and fprot havent heard about the fprot .

but they must work as isp's wouldnt use them.

nerelda

thanks for that.i was over at WORLD START and one of their regulars.said he uses avg and avast on the one sys

and i wondered if there was any conflict.

like people recomend using spybot and Adaware .but i know they interprit the certain files from their sys as spy ware

so to me what is the difference.both have a conflict with each with certain files

marty

I think this is from the CFH days:

Posted by Petecovell 04/09/2004, 8:32 a.m.

Can you have more than one Anti-virus program?

Can you ===> YES

Should you =====> NO

Is it a good idea, do you get better protection====>NO

The danger, is that one antivirus program may (Read this as eventually will) see

the others definition files as viruses, and will remove them. This is not so much a

problem with manual scans, where you only run one Antivirus program at a time, if

you pay close attention to what it detects, and where. If you manually configure it to

ignore the other program, and its files, then you minimize the risk from this problem.

The big problem, is the silent threat. Most antivirus programs will scan web based

(not necessarily all, like P2P, and IM) file transfers. It is quite common, for one

antivirus program, to detect the incomming virus updates for the other. Thinking parts

of the definition files are viruses in their own right, the AV will strip these out of the

update.

The end result? Instead of having two, or even one, up to date fully functional

antivirus programs, you have two severely crippled programs, which are each

missing critical definition, and detection files .

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it

properly.

Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficicacy, you run an online scan.

Lets us just compound this a bit further. I have Avast as my main program and AVG (turned off but kept up to date) I use AVG to scan individual files as well as Avast. I also have the latest updated Zone Alarm which also has virus detection abilities and of course is running all the time. Yesterday I received an email containing a VBS extension and it was stopped by Zone Alarm. I scanned the file with both AVG and Avast and both scans came up clean. If it is not advisable to run two AV programs at the same time it looks like we should turn off the Zone Alarm program. Ideas

Bryan

ok thanks team

i have avast .which i use as my regular scanner and a web based scanner house call, which i have a house call button on my tool bar

but house call is only operational until you scan from the website.so there is no conflict.

the reason i asked about avg and avast

is a friend has the 2 sys and i quoted what i had read from these boards.

about not using 2 av;s on the one sys.

but she said you will have to convince me .

so i can show her these posts.

so thanks team forever helpful.

marty

Or you could wait untill she is infected the do the "I told you so thing"

M

ha ha mike x

i thought of that but she is a very good friends apart from the difference s with compts

but my advantage is i can show her the comments from this board .

tho i think i can talk her into joining.

when she first got a compt .

she signed as a member at znet.

but it was a bit over her head .

quite often i show her the posts from you guys on different.different problems we have

and she is impressed.

i showed her how to use the command promt for certain things

and she was amazed.

so may be we should aim our,Q AND A

to these sort of people .

it sure is a fascinating subject.

thanks every one for your input

marty