Is it best to stick with the old way of using nested tables or should a web designer implement CSS for overall arrangement instead? I ask this, because I have already constructed a site using the nested tables method, but the prospect of making it easier to manage through CSS caught my attention. What compatibility would I be sacrificing by upgrading my site to CSS and does anyone have any good articles on how to make the switch (perhaps a tutorial on the subject)?

Thanks

\\DOS

Edited by DOSError

http://www.csszengarden.com/

that is the reason you'd want to use css for layout, rather than tables.

Check it out, and read the source code, dont neglect the CSS source.

Btw if your interested in CSS, start small and simple

Learn what a boarder, margin and padding is, and how the differ

Learn the different types of poisitiong

Also, to start, do basic shapes,

1 box

x

2 boxes beside each other

xx

2x2 boxes

xx

xx

a box inside a box

it will take you a while to grasp the idea of css, but it shouldnt be too hard.

Pierce

Very nice! I understand the basic code for styling text with CSS, but arranging text on the page using CSS...now that I have no idea about. I will definitely check out the source code. Thanks!

BTW: This is my site now.

Another thing that perked my interest about CSS is that it can resize to different resolutions a lot better than nested tables can. Anything below 800x600 and my site looks bad.

Edited by DOSError

I prefer nested tables, although they are not the way to properly organize/layout your site. I just prefer them because I started web design in the mid-90's and that's all we had :)

If you want a proper site, stick with CSS. However, IE can be a pain to deal with when you're trying to stick to standards.

Whether it is worth it to reorganize your entire site is up to you. You need to weigh your options: spend the time now and have easier management later, or leave it as is and take the chance of a major re-do down the line.