Hi, last night I freed 26 Gigabytes from the windows partition on the machine that I am writing you from. On these 26 Gigs I intend to install Linux (probably Ubuntu, maybe red hat) and create a common data partition. My big question is about the sizes for the partitions. I plan to put the boot manager on a small separate partition at the end of the drive and form what I have read I will need a swap partition also. So my question is how much space does a working Linux install really take up? Or need? Secondly, not to start a flame war, but what are your opinions about the two afore mentioned Linux Distros?

Thanks

Bryan Miller

Ubuntu will set-up a dual boot quite easily for you, a bit easier than Red Hat. Which version of Red Hat were you thinking of using? Before setting up a dual boot I recommend you back up all data on your windows partition.

to add to what hitest said. If you have unallocated spce ubuntu will set it up in that area, that includes making a swap partition.

ubunutu seems to be the in distro now. It does have great package managment, it makes installing software easy

Edited by shanenin
So my question is how much space does a working Linux install really take up? Or need?

Not a whole lot. I have a relatively heavy Ubuntu install and it's only using about 5 GiB plus another 1.5 GiB or so for the swap and boot partitions.