I have been wanting to work on a laptop for practice. I have been scanning ebay for a project. I found this one. Hopefully I am able to change the ccfls. While I have the screen apart I will try and test the inverter. If I can get it running, it should have some resale value. I made sure it had a windows xp COA. That will make it much easier to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I managed to get the screen off the laptop. I then did my best to disassemble the screen into pieces. As far as I could tell, the ccfls are not replacable, they appered to be built into the screen. I decided I would test the output from the inverter. It was not giving any noticable voltage.

I decided to order a new inverter. This came today. I hooked up the new inverter, but it still was not outputting any voltage. But, the inverter did solve the problem. The screen now is working. I was under the impression you could test an inverter to see if it was outputting voltage as a way to see if it was working. That does not seem true. Does anyone have an opinion on why the inverter does not output any voltage(but it works).

Now the tough part. I need to get the laptop back together. I am not very mechanical when it comes to very delicate stuff.

I took apart 2 laptop screens (both working but very old) I was trying to get rid of them. Neither laptops' battery worked nor did I care. I was just using them on external monitors and each only had 1 PS/2 port which explains why I removed the screens. Lets just say one wasn't going back on no matter what. I had to cut the cables. The other just unhooked. Also to let ya'll know they were both 486's one with OS/2 Warp and the other with Windows 95 that had been upgraded from 3.1. I really didn't care if either worked. needless to say they both died and I have properly diposed of both.

Good luck on reassembly. I think my reassembly method of the old Sceptre LCD I had was what broke it completely. :P The backlight was messed up and I finshed the job by srewin up the screen itself. :thumbsup:

well I got it reassembled. At first it seemed to be working great. As it ran the bottom left corner started to turn black. I noticed that part of the screen was hot. If I put my thumb on that corner, the color would come back. It seemed that my thumb making contact caused it to cool and the lcd returned to normal.

The big question is, "what is causeing the corner to get hot".

What is located in that corner?

nothing that I can remember. I am going to look again today. I think the heat is originating directly from the screen(glass). I am going to open it up again today, and let the screen run while completely out of the casing. I will be able to tell exactly where the heat is coming from.

Edited by shanenin

I have it running with the screen completely out. The heat is being gereated inside the sealed panel(lcd). One of two things come to mind. their is some sort of bad connection inside the panel which is generating heat(need sa new screen). The second possibility is the new inverter I got is slightly incompatible. It looks identicle and according to the specs it is the correct one. My gut says the screen is bad.

I have this much invested, I think I am going to buy a screen and at least try and break even. The sceen has a model number "L141x1-1A" (made by acer). I found this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=103001428391

I am sure this screen is used in many different laptops. If I knew what laptops used it, I might be able to find a better price. I am having touble figuring out which other laptops use this screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

edit added later//

since the screen was unworking, I tried a little harder to ger inside. I was able to get to the bottom ccfl. I was hoping to see a bad connection. As far as I can tell, by the wiring, thier seems to be just one ccfl. Does that seem possible?

Edited by shanenin

I thought that maybe the heat problem was caused by arching. I took apart the panel, I was able to get to the ccfl bulb. As far as I can tell it has just one on the bottom. I noticed the side with the heat had a loose wire. It must have been making contact(it was working), but still arching(creating heat) just a little. I resoldered it, and it is now running cool.

Right now I feel like a king :-)