Linux Recomendation

Okay, school's ending which means I have a little free time (outside of three jobs, practice, and such) and I'm going to mess around with Linux. Just a Live CD for now - no immediate plans on installing to my hard drive for permament use.

So, which distro would be easy enough to pick up and run with, while still being highly functional. I have a AMD X2 processor setup (if that makes any difference on hardware setups)

To truely enjoy linux, you should instlal it to your harddrive. Running it from a cd kind of sucks. I think you can spare 5gbs :-)

To answer your question, knoppix is nice. I even think their is a dvd version. this would contain just about any program you might use.

If you just want a live Linux CD here are a couple you can try out.

Ubuntu

Knoppix

Edit: Added later: I heartily agree with shanenin. Running Linux from your CD ROM drive really blows, but, it is a good way to try out Linux without messing up your windows partition. Running Linux from your HD is the best way to experience Linux.

I'll also have to say that running it from a CD won't really give you the full experience. The LIveCds are a good way to test your hardware to see if everything will run. I say try a livecd to test your hardware, play with it for a few then download and install Ubuntu or Kubuntu. If you also want to try another type of *nix, try PC-BSD. http://www.pcbsd.org/

My dillema is that I was stuck with the GRUB bootloader even after I deleted UBUNTU from my hard drive last time (it wouldn't run, it turned the screen into static) and ran fixMBR (which F'ed up my Windows boot record so I had to repair windows. Can somebody recommend a GOOD bootloader that can easily be removed in the event of catastrophe.

So, I will install Linux to a spare partition - a 15GB FAT32 - let me know which distro has a good bootloader that won't horribly screw up my windows stuff!

Having a small problem. I try to download the DVD ISO and this keeps happening (with several different mirrors) Notice the percentage is Negative

window.JPG

This is after 2 hours or so of downloading

Edited by xxkbxx
Having a small problem. I try to download the DVD ISO and this keeps happening (with several different mirrors) Notice the percentage is Negative

window.JPG

This is after 2 hours or so of downloading

I'd try bittorrent. http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/bordeaux-...-x86_64.torrent