I Need Some Advice On How Much To Sell My Pc For..

I have posted this at twit, also, but wanted to see what everyone here thought...

I have an interested buyer, however I am not sure what to ask for my PC.

It is a (copying from the documents):

2003 Dell Dimension 4600

Pentium 4 2.8GHz

757MB RAM

64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out

250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) (WD Caviar)

15 Ultrasharp FP Monitor

48x/24x/48x CR-RW Drive

48X Max Variable CD-Rom Drive

3.5 Floppy

Intel Pro PCI NIC Card

Keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc

Any suggestions? I have taken excellent care of it, it is my baby.

I hate to let it go, but...

Thanks!

in used condition, I'd say $400 sans Keyboard, mouse, and monitor. My system is more powerful than that I'd probably sell it for $500-$600. With keyboard, mouse, and not knowing what type of monitor and size I only have a vague idea what to sell it for. Probably $500

Here's my logic:

2003 Dell Dimension 4600 - should definitly take off a little for selling the guy a Dell!

Pentium 4 2.8GHz - $60

757MB RAM - $50

64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out - $50

250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) (WD Caviar) - $75

15 Ultrasharp FP Monitor - $100

48x/24x/48x CR-RW Drive - $10

48X Max Variable CD-Rom Drive - $5

3.5 Floppy - Nothing

Intel Pro PCI NIC Card - Nothing

Keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc - Depends on quality, brand, ect.

Ouch, I was way off on my initial count. That brings it close to $400 with everything.

Keep in mind the prices they are now asking for a new PC. Go online and check the prices for a new Dell that falls into the same range. then figure any added parts that go with it.

You can get a new Dell for the home for between $300. and $600 after rebates.

The first name brand I bought years ago cost me well over a grand for a basic system. Couple years later prices started to drop and have been going down ever since. The same PC I bought, you couldn't give away today. Not worth anything.

So keep that in mind when you do set a price.

Keep in mind the prices they are now asking for a new PC. Go online and check the prices for a new Dell that falls into the same range. then figure any added parts that go with it.

Thats exactly what I'd do; check online for it, then subtract/add to account for usedness, extra add-ons, etc.

Nice idea, JSKY.

Good luck selling your computer,

~Murtu52

So the Flat Panel by itself is about $100.

Hmm.

The mouse is a Logitech Trackman, the Keyboard and speakers are Dell.

I think I will ask 450 and be willing to drop a bit. I am a horrible haggler, so I will probably end up selling it for $350.

:)

Will let you know what he says.

Is it illegal for me to leave Photoshop CS2, Premiere, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver and MS Office 03 on there for him? Do I have to erase them, also?

Thanks!

Edited by LiXindi
So the Flat Panel by itself is about $100.

Hmm.

The mouse is a Logitech Trackman, the Keyboard and speakers are Dell.

I think I will ask 450 and be willing to drop a bit. I am a horrible haggler, so I will probably end up selling it for $350.

:)

Will let you know what he says.

Is it illegal for me to leave Photoshop CS2, Premiere, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver and MS Office 03 on there for him? Do I have to erase them, also?

Thanks!

You could use it as leverage (specially Office) to raise the price up - but it would be illegal.

If you want to reuse the same software cds as you originally registered the programs with, again, then you probably shouldn't leave it on the computer as it would violate your Eula agreements.

Also if you still decide to go ahead and sell it, rather than keeping it as a good second computer (backup spare in case you need one someday), you should run a good wiper program to erase all your private info completely.

Pat

God bless everyone

you should run a good wiper program to erase all your private info completely.

The good wiper program I'd recommend is removing the drive....voila! private data secure. :)

Yeah, I'm being serious....I don't think I'd ever sell any of my PCs including any hard drives.

you should run a good wiper program to erase all your private info completely.

The good wiper program I'd recommend is removing the drive....voila! private data secure. :)

Yeah, I'm being serious....I don't think I'd ever sell any of my PCs including any hard drives.

I have posted this at twit, also, but wanted to see what everyone here thought...

I have an interested buyer, however I am not sure what to ask for my PC.

It is a (copying from the documents):

2003 Dell Dimension 4600

Pentium 4 2.8GHz

757MB RAM

64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out

250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) (WD Caviar)

15 Ultrasharp FP Monitor

48x/24x/48x CR-RW Drive

48X Max Variable CD-Rom Drive

3.5 Floppy

Intel Pro PCI NIC Card

Keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc

Any suggestions? I have taken excellent care of it, it is my baby.

I hate to let it go, but...

Thanks!

If you can get $300, take it and run.

Edited by irregularjoe

Well, I got 450.00, and I am killing the disk and reinstalling windows.

I do not need the copy of windows, so I think I am just going to give it to him.

I trust the guy...

(Famous last words)

Thanks for all your help.

@xxkbxx

"a mid range system"

ouch.

XXX,

Xindi

You could use it as leverage (specially Office) to raise the price up - but it would be illegal.

It's legal, the windows copy that came with the dell is (more than likely) OEM so legally LiXindi can't install it on another system anyway. Besides, its a private sale so as long as licensed software isn't used elsewhere as well LiXindi is in the clear. Ofcourse if any of the EULA's specificaly state it is illegal then it would be.

Well, I got 450.00, and I am killing the disk and reinstalling windows.

I do not need the copy of windows, so I think I am just going to give it to him.

I trust the guy...

(Famous last words)

Thanks for all your help.

@xxkbxx

"a mid range system"

ouch.

XXX,

Xindi

Didn't mean it personal - besides high-range systems only stay high range for about a year or so (ala my parent's $3000 gateway w/ a P3 933 and 128 MB RAM was once considered a high range PC) Nowadays, the computer I built should be high range until the new Socket comes out making 939's obsolete