I have speakers I built back in da-day, and the woofers use 1 3/4 amp slo-blow fuses (the small metal-tipped glass tubes). Now, thirty years later, I can't find a local source for these fuses. I occasionally find and use 1 1/2 amp slo-blow fuses in their place, but anyone have an idea where to go to find the correct fuse? Radio Shack was my source for the 1 1/2 amp fuses, they never had 1 3/4 amps, and now they sometimes don't have even the 1 1/2 amps.

If I have to switch to another type of protection (can't think of the name right now, the ones you push a reset button), where would I get those? (Preferably local since I only need 2, and I imagine S&H on two fuses would cost way more than the fuses themselves.)

I just can't think of anothe type of store to go to (have never seen these types of fuses in, say, stereo stores).

Auto parts stores. If you really want to get inventive replace the fuse setup with circuit breakers used in big rigs, dump trucks and heavy equipemnet. I used to remove them from the old Mack trucks we were scrapping.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Filter

digikey for most of my electronics and glitchbusters for special parts where I only need one but don't want to spend RS prices

I don't remember seeing "slo-blow" fuses in auto parts stores, but I'll look again (plus, haven't they all changed over to those plastic thing-a-ma-bobs with two blades?).

(iccaros: That link didn't work for me, I'll try the main URL when I have more time, thanx.)

I don't remember seeing "slo-blow" fuses in auto parts stores, but I'll look again (plus, haven't they all changed over to those plastic thing-a-ma-bobs with two blades?).

(iccaros: That link didn't work for me, I'll try the main URL when I have more time, thanx.)

If you're referring to glass AGU fuses - auto parts stores DO carry them. Different companies use different fuse types - I think most American made are using blade fuses now, and some foregin (I know of Volvo for sure) use AGU fuses

Could you get a blade type fust block and replace the one that's in there now and then you could use the new blade type fuses?

I hesitate to re-engineer the panel the fuses are installed into -- The panel has, in addition to the fuse holders, two toggle switches for the electronics inside the speaker box, and silk-screened labels for the fuses and functions of the switches. All this fits into a hole that's identical to the hole for the tweeter and positioned so the fuse panel and tweeter positions can be swapped depending on the orientation of the cabinet. I built them oh, twenty years ago or so, back when I had that sort of ambition for electronic projects. I'm not that interested in starting over ... ;)

So I guess it's online (with the cost likely to double to cover S&H) or the auto parts emporium (I still have doubts they have slo-blo fuses, but then it's been forever since I had a car that used those types of fuses so what do I know). There is an electronics warehouse that usually deals with repair people. I tried them once for some special bulbs I had used in another project and which, like the fuses, are no longer readily available. They were total jerks and I don't wish to repeat that experience (not to mention the forty mile trip to the place).

Thanks for the thought, but I have yet to be sucked into the E-bay Ultraverse (or Myspace, or .... ).

On the topic of the speakers, I have a sub-woofer cabinet that's HUGE with a fifteen-inch, ported woofer. I heard some unusual 'rasping' and checked out the speaker. The foam surround disintegrated at my touch. OK, I already replaced the woofers and mid-ranges in the satellites, 'bout time I replaced the sub-woofer too. Yeouch! Everywhere I look, fifteen-inch subwoofers designed for large, ported cabinets cost several hundred dollars. That's just for the driver, I didn't spend that much to build the entire unit (cabinet, electronics, hardware, plus the driver).

I by-passed the sub-woofer until I can afford a replacement driver, the extra strain on the satellites is why I'm lookin' for a source for their fuses. <_<

(Guess I could've turned down the volume ... Nah!)

have you tried your local radio shack store?

that is where i have gotten fuses for my D-9s. they take a slo blo fuse.

the type with a red button you area thinking about are called circuit breakers.

if you use one of those, yu would need to go to at least 2-1/2 amp in a circuit breaker. since they are fast blo.

if you go with a fast blo, you must choose a higher value, to be equal to a slo blo.

mainly because of the spiking of current going to the speakers, and that is why slo blo fuses were used, so that they do not blo too soon. but when yuo reach the max of the speaker, then it goes.

but i have found them at radio shack

Thanks for the info, I usually go to RS for the fuses but they never carried the exact fuse. I've always had to go a quarter amp lower than I designed the system for. No BIG deal, but 'cause I'm out the subwoofer right now the extra strain makes that quarter amp significant. The lower spec fuses blow when they normally would not have done so had the subwoofer been 'absorbing' the lowest frequencies. I can either keep replacing the lower spec ones 'til the sub's back online, or I was hoping to find a source for the exact amperage (1 3/4 amp slo-blow). Or, of course, I can turn down the volume for now. :D

Have you tried an old fashioned tv repair shop?

Seems like our old Mitsubishi Tv had a slow blow fuse, that was the same size as you need I think, that kept going out on us during warranty which the Electromatic I think was the name of local shop that did the warranty work never got right one for it. The only place we finally found the right one was after it was out of warranty and was from a tv repair hole in the wall type shop here in Portland, the little old man stocked all sorts of odd ball size fuses like that one. Never had to replace it again in next 10 or so years we had the set. Of course that has been long awhile back, have had our current tv about 10 years now.

So call around and see if any independent tv repair shop has one.

Pat

God bless everyone