Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake Released

I borked my ubuntu system a while back. I have been waiting for this release to reinstall.

If you wna tto save on thier bandwith, this is what I am going to use

http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/dapper/ubunt...386.iso.torrent

edit added later//

getting about 300kBs/s using the torrent

Edited by shanenin

It started with breaking my sound beyond repair. I don't really remember what I did, I just know I was messing with a lot of my config files. I may have changed some of my udev rules. Sound was not a big issue, since this was just my system for experimenting.

I tryied an upgrade and a bunch of packages failed. I don't think apt is even working anymore. It is not worth the effort to try and fix it.

edit added later//

I had fun breaking it :-)

Edited by shanenin
I had fun breaking it :-)

LOL, well-said, shanenin! :thumbsup:

I've done the same thing with my Slackware box, when I installed picassa it causes my system to hang on shut-down when I run it. Also, installing free-rock gnome has messed up my KDE shutdown menu.

So I'm looking forward to 11.0 being released so I can do a clean install on my slack box.

p.s. I downloaded Ubuntu 6.06 this morning. I'm debating wether or not to attempt an install today. The ubuntu mirrors were being hammered quite hard this morning.

Thanks for the heads up, Carnevil! Much appreciated, buddy! :D

The ubuntu mirrors were being hammered quite hard this morning.

that is why using bitorrent is great. If you have lots of people using it, your speeds just get better.

Cool.

I'm wondering if the Ubuntu sites will be able to resolve apt when I attempt the install. I'd hate the install to fail because the mirrors are too busy for apt to work. Heh, I guess I'll find out. :D

I am in the middle of the install now. I am choosing to manually edit and set the partitions, but it keeps telling me NO. It seems like a bug, but maybe I am doing something wrong.

the install cd boots into a regular live version of ubuntu. Then thier is an install icon on the desktop.

it takes me all of five min to kill ubuntu.. try installing webmin.. then try to uninstall it.. this normally makes apt unuseable.. it will keep complaining that it cant find webmin (as it uninstalles it wrong) and will stop any update there..

I hate user friendly OS.. if you know what you are doing.. (or think you do) they are too easy to break

I got past the partitioning. It made me choose mount points for all 9 of my partitions. As far as I could tell I needed to use the mount points ubuntu decided I should use. Kind of annoying. After I am finshed I can change my /etc/fstab file.

I am really annoyed with the installer. It did not ask me if I wanted to install a boot loader, it just did it without prompting. As I said above, it made me mount all of my partitions, if not I was not able to finish the install. I guess a little control to the user(me) would have been nice.

I am really annoyed with the installer. It did not ask me if I wanted to install a boot loader, it just did it without prompting. As I said above, it made me mount all of my partitions, if not I was not able to finish the install. I guess a little control to the user(me) would have been nice.

Yes, I also like a little control. Is it true the installer is now graphical, because I kind of like the debian-like text installer in Ubuntu 5.10? I've heard from a few users that 6.06 is faster than 5.10.....that would be nice. :D

Hitest convinced me to switch back to Ubuntu, so once the servers calm down, ill burn and instll that over my Debian installation. :)

Hey Matt,

I think you're going to like it. :D From what I've read it is going to be an awesome distro which will be supported for 3 years.......and 6 years for the server edition.

Yes, I also like a little control. Is it true the installer is now graphical, because I kind of like the debian-like text installer in Ubuntu 5.10? I've heard from a few users that 6.06 is faster than 5.10.....that would be nice. :D

Text based installers are the sh*t, I like being in control of what happens during installation. The last part of your message caught my eye. They say it's faster, is that by them testing it, or is it anecdotal? It bugs me when people say one distro is faster when they haven't run any actual tests. I hope I'm not coming off like an ass, that stuff just bugs me.

Carnevil..

It shoudl respond faster as the new GNOME it uses has speed up some responce times..

this is what I notice when people say faster..

I have not seen any bench marks on the rest of the system..

Text based installers are the sh*t, I like being in control of what happens during installation.

my first linux install of redhat 9 asked if I wanted to install a boot loader, and it was a graphical installer. Ubuntu chose to leave it out in favor of making it simpler for the masses.

Text based installers are the sh*t, I like being in control of what happens during installation.

my first linux install of redhat 9 asked if I wanted to install a boot loader, and it was a graphical installer. Ubuntu chose to leave it out in favor of making it simpler for the masses.

Get use to it, this is just the natural dumbing down of newbie linux distros. What I find funny though is even PC-BSD gives you a choice to install a boot loader or not. Eventually it's going to get to the point where people like us will only have a few choices for *nix. It'll probably end up Slackware,Arch,Gentoo,the BSD's and Solaris.

Carnevil..

It shoudl respond faster as the new GNOME it uses has speed up some responce times..

this is what I notice when people say faster..

I have not seen any bench marks on the rest of the system..

I shouldn't expect anything else from newbie users. But you and I both know that just because the D.E. responds faster that doesn't necessarily mean the system is faster. I'd like to see actual benchmarks on the system.

But you and I both know that just because the D.E. responds faster that doesn't necessarily mean the system is faster.

That's the only kind of 'faster' that matters to most users. People who need different kinds of faster will do their own benchmarking anyway.

I haven't noticed any difference, incidentally, but I haven't been using GNOME either.

Text based installers are the sh*t, I like being in control of what happens during installation. The last part of your message caught my eye. They say it's faster, is that by them testing it, or is it anecdotal? It bugs me when people say one distro is faster when they haven't run any actual tests. I hope I'm not coming off like an ass, that stuff just bugs me.

Well, I'm installing 6.06 now as we speak so I should find out soon how much system resources are used, how snappy it is. I've read some anedotal reports that say it is faster, that gnome has been optimized, I'll see soon for myself. The installer is not text based.......grrrr. :D I'm curious to see what 6.06 is like.

Well......I must say I like 6.06! This was the fastest Ubuntu install I've ever seen, no issues during the install, very little input required from the user. I've used 5.04 and 5.10. I found it weird that the good people at Ubuntu decided to remove the debian-like text based installer that 5.10 had. So far so good. After the install I only had 1 update. So now I'm downloading all of my apps, setting it up.

This is a good distro:-) I'll post really boring screenshots soon when I'm done, lol

BAH!!!!

Not liking it so far!

I prefer the text based installer, and as Shanenin pointed out, it makes you do certain things like assigning mount points.... and not prompting for where GRUB is going? WTF?!!!

Those are just minor annoyances compared to the so-called improvements that make things not work that worked fine in hoary and breezy....does anyone here think a logitech MX900 wireless keyboard/mouse duo is exotic hardware? Ubuntu must since I'm having issues!

This was a better distro when it wasn't so damn popular. <_<

Edited by tictoc5150
BAH!!!!

Not liking it so far!

I prefer the text based installer, and as Shanenin pointed out, it makes you do certain things like assigning mount points.... and not prompting for where GRUB is going? WTF?!!!

Those are just minor annoyances compared to the so-called improvements that make things not work that worked fine in hoary and breezy....does anyone here think a logitech MX900 wireless keyboard/mouse duo is exotic hardware? Ubuntu must since I'm having issues!

This was a better distro when it wasn't so damn popular. <_<