Occasionally on startup, the welcome screen is frozen. I cannot click to log in to my account and after a few clicks, there's a beep and the mouse freezes up as well. A restart or two fixes it but it's been bugging me a little bit. Any ideas?

BTW, I've had this problem since before the heat issues and the underclock/undervolt/FSB OC I mentioned in my other post...

Occasionally on startup, the welcome screen is frozen. I cannot click to log in to my account and after a few clicks, there's a beep and the mouse freezes up as well. A restart or two fixes it but it's been bugging me a little bit. Any ideas?

BTW, I've had this problem since before the heat issues and the underclock/undervolt/FSB OC I mentioned in my other post...

you got a misbehaving driver or startup program. If you have installed any new programs use it's prefs to keep it from starting with windows. Update all you drivers. Use a startup manager to control programs that start with window.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any way to figure out which service/program is causing the hang without flipping one after another?

(Perhaps something like a program that will give a detailed account of the last startup)

I've updated my graphics drivers to the latest Omega drivers since this problem started but that hasn't fixed it...

I also have problems on shutdown (it takes forever to actually shutdown), which seems to be a PG2,Sygate conflict but also seemingly unrelated to the startup issues since I've had shutdown problems LONG before the startup ones...

Edited by qwertyuiop

Well, I've shutdown nonessential startup items and haven't noticed the startup issues back yet though I can't really be too sure if it's really fixed since the issues seem to come quite randomly...

I'm pretty sure that it's PG2. If PG2 is shutdown beforehand, Windows shuts down fine. The conflict between PG2 and some firewalls causing long shutdown times is noted in the PG2 forums in quite a long thread. I just thought that I'd throw that out there just in case they were related in some way.

Thanks for the help rhema7 and xxkbxx. Now I just have to keep replacing the drivers and hope that the fix really was that simple :)

Cheers!

Thanks. I've been using SpywareBlaster ever since Spybot recommended it. I haven't had shutdown issues when I was using SystemSuite 4 or 5 but the latest version conflicts with so many programs it's unusable...

AVG+Sygate just doesn't cut it as well as the old SS did.

Is there any way perhaps to change the shutdown function to run a program before shutdown (without using a batch)? I could then use pskill and terminate PG2 before Windows attempts to shutdown. There's plenty of "run at boot" but I haven't seen a good "run before shutdown" that I can use the normal shutdown button with.

Very nice! PG2 actually quits now on shutdown. 4 for 4 shutdowns have worked speedily since then and no problems logging of from one account and logging on to another (PG2 used to crash and I'd have to use pgfix).

Definitely a Windows expert, many thanks TT_75! :D