Somebody sold my boss a high level Dell computer (didn't ask him how much) - 1 or 2 GB RAM, 150 GB SATA, DVD RW, with a 6800 video card. The only problem was the video card wouldn't work because the fan wasn't working. He assumed the fan itself was bad and desoldered it from the connector. However, I hooked up the fan wires to a running power supply to test it and wa-la it worked! So the problem was that the leads on the card to power the fan were broken, not the fan itself.

To solve it I decided to run a separate power connection from a molex (4-pin) to the video card. Here are the pics:

DSC00411.JPG

Above shot showing the power connection not going to the card. Instead it's soldered and heatshrinked to separate wires going upward.

DSC00410.JPG

Side shot showing the same thing

DSC00412.JPG

Shows the female Molex connection. The wires on the adaptor are yellow and black (usually 12V and ground), however, the actual power is 5V and ground - look at the wires that the power comes from (red and black) The adaptor is from a molex to SATA power changer that is just cut and soldered to the card.

And it works!!!

Awesome. Although I have to say how you worded it to start made me start thinkin u ripped off your boss pretty well; rofl...

Definitly didn't rip him off since I get paid a flat rate, not on commision or anything