An American Company

I receive newsletters from the Consumer Product Safety Commision regarding recalls. I am constantly surprised (or amused, or ... something) that probably 98% of recalled items are "Made In China." I don't know if that indicates that Chinese manufacturer's lack product safety protocols, or if it is just a reflection of the enormous number of Chinese-made items sold here.

This was an eye-opener though (brief excerpt from recent newsletter):

The back of the packaging has an American flag and the writing, "AN AMERICAN COMPANY."

Sold at: Discount dollar stores nationwide from August 2005 through March 2006 for about $1.

Manufactured In: China

:wacko:

you have to understand that REAL american companies probably won't make this item as union labor would put the price around $3.

Which is fine since the product would most likely last three times as long.

So, is "AN AMERICAN COMPANY." the brand?

as much as I hate to say it...am I the only one that can see why all our compaines are moving overseas? why is detroit failing? it's hard to say that unions are killing their selves. $30 an hours to put 2 hubcaps on a car? for years I have worked my butt off building houses for $7 an hour. the last time I checked the nissan plant in tennessee was still non union.

last time I checked the nissan plant in tennessee was still non union.

As well as most of the major suppliers of the big three. Out source the labor to a non-union shop and just do the assembly. It's the American way.

as much as I hate to say it...am I the only one that can see why all our compaines are moving overseas? why is detroit failing? it's hard to say that unions are killing their selves. $30 an hours to put 2 hubcaps on a car? for years I have worked my butt off building houses for $7 an hour. the last time I checked the nissan plant in tennessee was still non union.

$7 bucks an hour would be fine if the average price of houses was was still $49,000.

This reminds me of something I heard about 45 years ago.

During that era, Japan had the stigma that China does today. Cheap, inferior products.

So someone in Japan opened a manufacturing plant out in the hinterlands. Set up a little company town, brought in a bunch of workers, and named the town.......Usa.

So although deceptive, it wasn't really a lie when they stamped "Made in Usa" on the back or their products.

True story.

American labor is increasingly expensive, though unions are only a part of that. But the core reason that companies are outsourcing is that other countries with large, cheap labor supplies (China) are now developing the infrastructure and relations to make it possible to outsource there.

On average, cheap non-union American labor is nowhere near as cheap as cheap non-union Chinese labor. It's a side effect of having a dramatically stronger economy and higher standard of living. I wouldn't trade it.

you have to understand that REAL american companies probably won't make this item as union labor would put the price around $3.

Which is fine since the product would most likely last three times as long.

So, is "AN AMERICAN COMPANY." the brand?

After WWII , when there was strong anti Japanese sentiment and "Made in Japan" was considered a synonym for poor quality the Japanese renamed a city Usa City, so they could stamp exports Made In Usa

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+17278

Usa City is located in Oita Prefecture on Kyushu Island.

There is a theory, that an ancient kingdom had its seat in Usa in the 3rd century. In any case, the city and its shrine have been in existence for far more than 1000 years.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...lz1j22flag.html

On Nov. 12-13, a copy of the flag was exhibited at a festival in Usa City, Japan, Yasuda's hometown. It featured a photo of Yasudaww's downed Zero and a letter of presentation from San Diego Wing Leader Steve Real of the World War II Flying Museum in El Cajon.

That is just for those who want to quote Snopes that this is an urban legend not a real place.

It is possible that the manufacturer in China is actually an American Company, or it could just be the name of the company (the brand name}

Edited by Pete_C

Sorry if I left something out that made it confusing, but I assumed the company that sold or distributed the product was American while the product was sourced from China. Since China (deservedly) has the same reputation for low-quality goods Japan had at one time, they slap the U.S. flag on the box, incorporate the word "American" in whatever way they can, and voila! You're buying American!

It's clearly deceptive but what-cha-gonna do?

And I feel I should repeat the point that the vast majority of recalled items are sourced from China, which bothers me no end. Not only are the products unsafe, endangering users here and abroad, but it's not a stretch to imagine that since safety is clearly either a low priority, or they simply don't have enough experience producing a safe product, that their factories are likely dangerous places to work too. With all the recalls based on lead contamination we can also assume their environmental priorities or experience is just as dangerous.

I guess we shouldn't begrudge them a chance to bring themselves out of the 18th Century, we were a dirty, dangerous place back then too. But really, no one should have to suffer the same mistakes.

Oh wait, everybody wants cheap stuff. Nevermind. I'm still amazed at just how cheap stuff is; I bought a stainless steel carafe that SHOULD cost a hundred bucks or so (they used to cost that much not that long ago). Price? $19.95.

I try not to think about the conditions at the Chinese factory that produced it (or how many U.S. jobs were lost).

Edited by JDoors