Gardening Time, Watch Out

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is ne of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

Julie Scheuerman

Foresee Insurance Agency

I use compost for mulch (works the same and is dirt colored!) BUT I recently read something else along the lines of mulch that need to be broadcasted.

Cocoa Bean mulch is beautiful and smells absolutely heavenly, BUT if you have critters, don't use it. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and some dogs (especially the big ones) will eat it--if they eat the cocoa mulch, they can get sick.

And thanks, Bozodog--I always lean towards better safe than sorry!

Liz

Well "snoops" said it was false. Sorry about that. I figured it made too dang much sense. It also gave me a heads up because we have a company near here that shreads up old housing materials and scraps from a large furniture maker, dyes it and sells it in bulk by the truckload.

We get ours free from the city lot. That and composted leaves from the fall collections.

I use compost for mulch (works the same and is dirt colored!) BUT I recently read something else along the lines of mulch that need to be broadcasted.

Cocoa Bean mulch is beautiful and smells absolutely heavenly, BUT if you have critters, don't use it. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and some dogs (especially the big ones) will eat it--if they eat the cocoa mulch, they can get sick.

And thanks, Bozodog--I always lean towards better safe than sorry!

Liz

• 17 years later...