~ A friend called and said while she was online yesterday her keyboard and mouse stopped working.

She rebooted and after the bios setup, there on the screen, along with press F1 to (whatever) it said "no keyboard" (mouse wasn't mentioned).

She checked the back and inside for loose connections and cleaned out the small amout of dust ...she is now at a loss as to what she should do next.

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything else about her computer.

I know that it's difficult to offer suggestions with such minimal information, but if anyone has any ideas they will truly be appreciated.

Thank you.

If she has a hardware problem, she may try a usb keyboard and mouse; that may solve her problem.

Windows may also be corrupt, if so a good reinstall is always an option.

Edited by shanenin

try a different keyboard and mouse. If that don't work then there is probably something wrong with the PS/2 ports. I have had problems outmof an old gateway were at random it would just say no keyboard detected. usually after some jigglin of the cord and a few reboots it'd work.

The BIOS not acknowledging the keyboard would not me sign of Windows being corrupt since the BIOS detects ports way before the hard drive ever loads Windows - which is at least good news

I second trying a new keyboard or even the USB keyboard

~ I thought that it was very odd that both the keyboard and mouse stopped working simultaneously.

I appreciate your thoughts and insights and I'll pass your recommendations on to her later...( we're not in the same time zone. )

Thank you everyone for your help. :)