After my pc sits for awhile, usually on the welcome screen, it can't find the web. It started when I had DSL, but does it now with cable, which blows my DSL to blame theory. After I reboot, it will be fine.Any ideas?

emachine T2042/xp

Try a hard reset on both the modem and the router:

1: Turn off the computer.

2: Unplug the modem from the wall plug.

3: Unplug the router from the wall plug.

Wait a few minutes, then them back in and restart the computer.

If you don't use a router (you should) skip that step.

Edited by irregularjoe

I had a motorola (surfboard I think the model name) modem from the cable company when I first got cable internet, and it would keep dropping me off the net every time I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Complained to Adelphia, didn't do any good so I bought my own (D-Link) and had no trouble since. Had several friends who also had problems with the same model modem.

We have a Motorola surfboard too. It doesn't give us any problem at all. Once in a while, when Charter craps, we have to reset modem, router, and Vonage modem. Seems the modem doesn't know how to go back and look for the address.

Yes, just unplug for a minute or so. It may be a good idea to contact your ISP. If you rent your modem they may replace it with the problems you're having. If you own it, I'd still check with them on their signal. I had lots of problems like yours until they sent a tech out and found a badly corroded connector at the utility pole, and bad placement of the location of the houses ground block. A new drop line, and moving the ground block the to gable end of the house stopped all the problems.