All I Want Is Gui..

Whew! Well today I was sitting around thinking about this and that and decided that I wanted to give linux another shot. After much conversation with Pierce, I decided to download and install Debian. Well, somewhere during the installation it asked what kind of environment I wanted to install. I thought I selected Desktop Environment, but apparently not. So it installed with no GUI. Now, I have spent the past few hours downloading and trying to install and setup KDE and X, with no luck. It says its been downloaded, unpacked, installed, and setup; but I'm still with no GUI. With it taking this long, and me not really knowing at all what I'm doing, would it just be easier to delete the partition and start over with the installation? Or is there something easy that would help be do this? :wacko:

Thanks,

Matt

Whew! Well today I was sitting around thinking about this and that and decided that I wanted to give linux another shot. After much conversation with Pierce, I decided to download and install Debian. Well, somewhere during the installation it asked what kind of environment I wanted to install. I thought I selected Desktop Environment, but apparently not. So it installed with no GUI. Now, I have spent the past few hours downloading and trying to install and setup KDE and X, with no luck. It says its been downloaded, unpacked, installed, and setup; but I'm still with no GUI. With it taking this long, and me not really knowing at all what I'm doing, would it just be easier to delete the partition and start over with the installation? Or is there something easy that would help be do this? :wacko:

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,

I'd download Ubuntu 5.10, burn it, boot from that, and nuke your debian partition. I ran debian for a bit, but, the install can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Ubuntu 5.10 is rock-steady and is a solid choice to run. :thumbsup:

Hiya hitest. Yes, I just killed the partition via windows and will try again tomorrow. They should make it more clear that you have to press space to select an item! :lol: Depending on how I warm up to debian, I may try other distros.

Many people speak highly of slackware; but do you suppose that is too hard for a beginner like myself?

Matt

you really can't judge Linux by a distro.. that is why there are thousands of them..

if you have more problems just write and we answer..

also if somehting is not working please report all steps done (like did you run start X) how did you config the xorg.cong. what video card... ect

good luck

As to slackware, it is a solid distro, but I think it is lacking in one serious way. It does not have a great easy way to install software. The prefered way to install programs with slackware is to indivdually build and compile all programs along with their dependencies. This can be a lot of work.

Edited by shanenin
As to slackware, it is a solid distro, but I think it is lacking in one serious way. It does not have a great easy way to install software. The prefered way to install programs with slackware is to indivdually build and compile all programs along with their dependencies. This can be a lot of work.

Actually you can easily download and install pre-built slack packages. You just download the packages to a directory then at a shell prompt cd to the directory. Then type su to get root access.

install the package with this command:

#installpkg (packagename).tgz

I used that command to install Open Office 2.0 in Slackware 10.2 and it seamlessly installed it and even integrated icons into my KDE start menu.

Hiya hitest. Yes, I just killed the partition via windows and will try again tomorrow. They should make it more clear that you have to press space to select an item! :lol: Depending on how I warm up to debian, I may try other distros.

Many people speak highly of slackware; but do you suppose that is too hard for a beginner like myself?

Matt

Both debian and ubuntu have similar install routines. You just need to slow down a bit when you install debian. If you go with debian don't forget to choose print server as one of your packages that will save you from having to install cupsys later. Another tricky part is setting up your mail transfer agent (MTA). I always select the top value when setting up my MTA (send and receive mail via SMTP with your ISP). Have fun choosing. If you need help with debian or ubuntu just ask. One of the experts will lend a hand.

Matt

Slackware has a good text based installer, but, it can be a bit tricky if it is your first attempt at installing Linux. I'd go with debian or ubuntu before Slackware.

If you're a beginner dude, I'd say go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu on the linux side of things. Now just because I'm an advocate of the BSD's, I'd also tell you to check out PC-BSD. Nice little review of PC-BSD can be found here. http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/pc-bsd_1.0_review.html