support ending for winders me in july...WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hey...wait a minute...who needs winders support when I have BESTTECHIE?....GO BESTTECHIE...GO...hahahahahahahahahaha

come to think of it I have never been to the ms winders support site.

long live win 3.1

You don't want to ever go to the Winders Support Site unless you want to be totally confused......geez, haven't they heard of "plain English"?

And Winders98 is "out the window" too... :(

Liz

support ending for winders me in july...WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hey...wait a minute...who needs winders support when I have BESTTECHIE?....GO BESTTECHIE...GO...hahahahahahahahahaha

come to think of it I have never been to the ms winders support site.

long live win 3.1

A little known secret is that people that still use Windows ME are being directed to a psychotherapy support group. Users say that the focus is on masochistic narcissists. :lol:

downloads are also discontinued? What about windows update, is that also discontinued for ME?

From what I understand no updates will be available once support is done. It is supposed to be the same deal as when 95 support ended. You may find the updates at MS archives which is well hidden.

downloads are also discontinued? What about windows update, is that also discontinued for ME?

Think of it this way: Try to find any support for Windows 3.1 at any Microsoft site. It's all gone. No updates, no downloads, nothin'.

It'll probably take some time to purge their database of pre-XP pages & info (if they even make an active effort to do so) so it's not like a big ol' switch will turn off everything at once, but don't expect any updated information whatsoever.

I'm creating custom installs of 98SE on a couple of 2GB Seagate hard drives that I bought new quite a few years ago and never used. I will update them and then use them for image backups. I won't install the motherboard drivers and remove the video and ethernet drivers, that way I can just install the images on any PC.

I'm creating custom installs of 98SE on a couple of 2GB Seagate hard drives that I bought new quite a few years ago and never used. I will update them and then use them for image backups. I won't install the motherboard drivers and remove the video and ethernet drivers, that way I can just install the images on any PC.

thats a cool idea. what do you use to transfere the images back to the new computer? One other thought, you will not have the correct coa on the new computer.

thats a cool idea. what do you use to transfere the images back to the new computer? One other thought, you will not have the correct coa on the new computer.

I like Acronis True Image. With an image you don't need to worry about the key. 9x/ME/2K isn't like XP where it checks the hardware so reinserting the key or activating isn't an issue.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

you still have a legallity issue of using the key on a customers computer. In theory if the key does not match the one that the computer came with microsoft could complain(fine you) about it.

Does that ghosting work similar to "ghost" . I will do some googling and check it out.

you still have a legallity issue of using the key on a customers computer. In theory if the key does not match the one that the computer came with microsoft could complain(fine you) about it.

Does that ghosting work similar to "ghost" . I will do some googling and check it out.

Ghost is similar to other imaging programs such as Acronis True image. Microsoft doesn't complain about the installs of 9x/ME or 2K. They don't even know that it is installed. Also they are no longer going to support 9x or ME. I only know four people besides my self that use 98 and two of them are family. I own three legal copies of 98SE which are installed on my family's computers that I built.

aww that sucks they ain't supportin 98 anymore. I own 1 upgrade copy of 98se that i have used in conjuction with an OEM 95 copy to install on about 4 or 5 computers. Currently that copy only exists on 3 that I can think of. My gateway, the PC at my grandmothers house and my friends old eMachine (used to be mine that's why). Only my fiends PC has internet of the 3. The other 2 in my house that have internet both run on XP Home SP2. Same disc different keys though. The discs to one were lost long before I even owned it. I quit using Me long ago when i couldn't get it to work any longer than a month at a time. The prob was it was a Gateway version. It had other crap with it that made it worse.