Should I Go Sata For New System.

I was just browsing newegg seeing what I could build on a similar budget my bro's PC was back in 2000 (just so happened to be $2000) and I was look in at hard drives. Well I'm only gonna get 1 and it's probably gonna be a 300GB. Now it seems there is trouble havin' SATA drives as your primary drive and that not many of them last. If I'm only gonna use one then should I stick to IDE?

If my understanding is correct, you will not get any better performance between a 7200rpm ide and a 7200rpm sata drive. Even thought the sata drive does have more throughput, it is not needed(used). I think you would get some gains using sata if you went up to a 10000rpm unit.

if you are looking for something that will give you extra performance, get this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144160

if you are buying a new motherboard, you could get one that is compatible with the newer style sata, that supports 15000 rpm drives.

Edited by shanenin
SATA Drives are quicker

Are you sure about that, I am not so certain?

edit added later//

I do realize SATA has a faster interface, but I don't knoiw if that means a drive of the same rpm will actually perform any better then a regular IDE.

Edited by shanenin

Sending and recieving commands to the HDD is faster because of the SATA interface. Aswell most SATA drives have a faster seek time than IDE drives. And alot have 16MB of cache which is great for copying lots of smaller files to and from. Definitley faster than an IDE drive, but really not all to significant. If you want performance buy a 100-200Gb IDE drive and stick windows on it then grab another 100-200Gb and put all your games and/or swap file on it. I personaly have 5 drives in this system and let me tell you its insanley awesome games on the 2 drive RAID 0 windows on another drive with my music swap file on another drive and misc on the last :). Only 2 are IDE. Buying 2 HDDs like I said and maybe getting smaller ones and possibly less overall space will give you a much more significant boost than buying one really fast drive in most cases. Long post yes but I hope it helps!

Edit: Hard as I try I always spell something wrong :\

Edited by Quiver

Well i only want one large capacity drive and and I still think i'm gettin and IDE drive. they seem to be more reliable. More of them have higher ratings on newegg.

Thats mostly due to the fact that more often than not there are instalation problems that have to be overcome when using a SATA as your boot device, and alot of people dont have a clue what they are doing; hence bad reviews... As was mentioned earlier getting a good mothergboard will help tremendously. SATA and IDE drives of that size are very close in price and if you want to have the little added performaces get the SATA.

Worst case senario (this happened yesterday) The MOBO won't initialize the SATA drive, so you boot off the windows CD, and plug the SATA signal cable into the drive before Windows searches for hardware. This will initialize the drive, and you'll be fine. The Biostar board would detect the SATA drive, but it wouldn't allow itself to boot without it being initialized. Go SATA