So, despite my personal hatred of non custom PC's, especially Dell, I bought a Dell computer today.

So - what could possibly push me to doing something so stupid? A bargain!!! For $44 I got a 2 year old Dell with a P4 2.66, 512 RAM, DVD Rom, Creative Sound Blaster, but - alas - no hard drive.

I got it from a girl who I built a new computer for (she put the old hard drive in her new PC, so her old one is without one) She had no need for it, and it's kind of hard to sell a computer without a hard drive to a regular person, so I bought it from her.

My plan is to replace my Dad's home office computer (hey - Father's Day is coming up!) by taking his old hard drive and putting it in the Dell. It would be quite a step up (the old was a P3 900, 384 MB, 40GB). Then I could get a new hard drive for the old computer and make a server!

I hate to admit buying a Dell PC, but for that price, there's nothing wrong with it (especially since I'll be doing a full reload from and OEM cd) $44 plus one IDE Cable and some grease = pretty good deal!

Gosh, XX, that is a GREAT deal. You probably couldn't buy a single "important part" for $44 and you got a bunch of "important parts". You Dad is going to love this surprise! (can I adopt you?)

Liz

Edited by blim

the advantage in putting your own hdd

into the compt

you dont have to contend with that hidden partition dell

springs on any one.

that is a darn good buy

you lucky bugger

some is looking after you

marty

He already knows about it - I mentioned that people on my forum said it would be a good plan - followed by "what forum?" and so on.

It should be a pretty good PC when I'm done with it, I've already physically cleaned it up - but I'll have to fight modding the thing!

I did basically the same thing a while back only i bought it for me. I bought off my then girlfriend for $100, a Compaq Presario 6433US with a Compaq 7550 Monitor, Cheapo Compaq Keyboard and mouse, and JBL Platinum speakers that hook to the sides of the monitor and they sound good too. It had an Athlon XP 2600+ on a, made for Compaq, Asus mobo with a VIA KM266 Chipset, 512MB of PC2100 RAM, an 80GB Western Digital Hard drive (according to HP/Compaq's website it shoulda had a 160B but this computer has had history of trouble mostly user related I'm sure), a floppy, a 16X DVD-ROM, and a CD-RW(not really sure on the speeds to be honest i think it is capable of 48x CD-R and only 12X CD-RW). It origianlly used onboard video and audio. Well I decided to add an eVGA e-GeForce FX 5700 Ultra video card (can only run at 4X AGP due to mobo) and a Creative Labs Sounblaster Live! 5.1 sound card. I also added my Logitech MX510 performance optical mouse and I had to replace the DVD-ROM drive. The old one burnt out on me. You know what? I still have the original 200W PSU in this sucker too. Apparently Hipro can make a decent PSU. This booger can moderatley handle source games and the orignal Call of Duty and it breezes through Battlefield 1942.

KB, you and I are deal grabbers ain't we.

Wanna know something funny? I was joking when I offered them $100 for the entire setup and they gladly accepted. For some reason they wanted to get rid of it. A fresh install of XP home SP2 and few spare parts and it turned out great. I love it and have no trouble out of it. It rocks for a bedroom PC with wireless internet.

(again I have typed a lot, gotta stop doin that)