Active X Mystery On Me Reformat?

:wacko:

Hello,

This is my 1st post here.

Windows ME.

PC was giving me the blue screen. Kept rebooting and everytime, it would lock a bit earlier in the boot sequence until it finally would not even load all of the startup programs. I had to do a partial reformat. :(

Everything seemd ok until I attempted to reinstall McAfee Virus scan. I get errors that it will not install because Active X problems or something.

I was told it may be a trojan but cannot run any virus scans because they need the active x to run! :angry2:

I tried to change the security settings and it did nothing.

I am at a loss for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Kev

Hello,

Windows ME.

PC was giving me the blue screen. Kept rebooting and everytime, it would lock a bit earlier in the boot sequence until it finally would not even load all of the startup programs. I had to do a partial reformat. :(

Everything seemd ok until I attempted to reinstall McAfee Virus scan. I get errors that it will not install because Active X problems or something.

I was told it may be a trojan but cannot run any virus scans because they need the active x to run! :angry2:

I am at a loss for now.

Thanks in advance

Kev

1st off, what's a Partial reformat?

BSOD is ussually caused by corrupted Windows files/faulty hardware (ussually RAM)

Hello,

Windows ME.

I am at a loss for now.

Thanks in advance

Kev

ok kevdad...first off let me say that I may not be of much help as I've been running WINME for almost 6 years and have had to reformat only once. have you had previous problems with WINME? BSOD is a common problem with WINME as it doesn't handle resources very well. I have to reboot daily to keep mine running well. my personal opinion is; dump MCAFEE and use a free virus scanner such as AVG or AVAST. secondly I don't quite understand the partial reformat...best do a full reformat for WINME. and as the other poster recommended check your ram. I know for a fact that WINME will run with 32 megs ram altho slowly. one more thing, I went thru my system and deleted every useless file I could find and didn't need. delete all your screensavers and purty pictures that you don't use. I deleted all my help files which I don't use. also set your system restore to minimum. there are hundreds of files you can delete to have a lean, mean windows machine. keep your multi-tasking to a minumim also. I could go on and on with files that are useles but start with the basics.

when you get that beatiful windows version running again go here and use this program to check your memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by bearskin

Oooh, Bearskin, you jogged my memory--owww, but thank you, a wrinkle in the brain is better than a wrinkle in the forehead.

I DO remember reading somewhere (NO, I don't remember where, darn it) that the most recent engine/update/"something" of Mcafee didn't play nice with ME! I don't remember the details because I use XP, but you might have hit the nail on the head.

Kev, maybe try uninstalling Mcafee and trying AVG or Avast like Bearskin suggested and see if your idiot box behaves better. :thumbsup:

Liz

bearskin is one of the few authoritys of WINME

on this board

and it would be wise to follow his info

hows that for sucking up BS

i used it once

and i was completely lost

so i save my pennies and bought xp

and im glad i changed

marty

Thanks for the great responses! Liz told me you all were very informative. She rocks!

Anyways, To answer about the "partial" reformat. There are 2 options when reformatting. Full - everything is lost (personal files, or anything installed after purchased) and all of the original programs are reinstalled from scratch. It wipes the slate clean to when the PC was new and unused. The other option was to reformat but keep files. It is suppose to reset all of the original software and hardware back to original. I called it a partial reformat for lack of a better word I suppose. :huh:

The second was what I did as I didn't want to lose everything again.

Let's see... No, I haven't had many problems with ME. I did have to do a full reformat about a year ago. Other than that, I usually keep it running quite well. I am not a PC wizz by any means but I do know a few things about keeping it cleaned up and always tried to keep up with regular maintenance, etc...

As luck would have it, my McAfee subscript just ran out so I am not continuing with that. I installed Avast yesterday and it found no infections. :( I don't know what is going on!

It see,s to be running a bit better today except for the fact that now my shortcut icons in the task bar are invisible at the moment. Puzzling. It sure seems there is something lurking in there.

Any further ideas?

Thanks peeps!!

Kev

Did you install all the Windows updates? One of the newer updates restricts ActiveX and has been known to cause problems. I would run the online scan from Kaspersky. Also download, update and run the following programs. Read the tutorials on setting them up.

Ewido Security Suite

Ewido Security Suite tutorial: Version 3.5

AdAware

AdAware tutorial

SpyBot S&D

SpyBot tutorial

Look to see if Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer KB896688 was installed. This update has caused problems. I uninstalled it from my Win98SE setup because I couldn't use any programs that required ActiveX such as Panda Active Scan and programs that required ActiveX to download such as Flash.