I have been nosing around microsoft.com/downloads for quite a while. I am having no luck finding "msn 9" , the dial up internet browser. I have to reinstall it on a machine I am working on.

You're supposed to be a MSN Subscriber to obtain the download. Do you have the client's subscription information?

Microsoft Online Services Home

MSN Explorer 9

MSN Explorer 9 Beta

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder why they are making it hard to install to someones machine. It does not make much sense. You think they would want to make it as easy as possible to install it.

I installed xp using the dell disc that came with the computer. I noticed the msn browser was already installed. Dell must have modified the disc to include msn, or does a generic oem disk also include msn(maybe I never noticed before)

Windows XP can install msn explorer on the system when you install it. just look under start>control panel> add/remove programs then click on the add/remove windows components button on the left. In the new window that opens up you will see MSN explorer about 6 spots down.

Windows XP can install msn explorer on the system when you install it. just look under start>control panel> add/remove programs then click on the add/remove windows components button on the left. In the new window that opens up you will see MSN explorer about 6 spots down.

Wow. M$ sneaks that in during install.

Tired of Windows XP Phoning Home?

MSN Explorer

Besides offering too many services, by default Windows XP setup installs software such as MSN Explorer, which isn't required for Windows XP to function properly. It wastes 13.5MB of disk space and performs forced automatic updates. Microsoft doesn't offer the ability to control automatic updates of MSN Explorer. The best thing is to remove MSN Explorer from Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs. Interestingly, Microsoft recommends that in a corporate environment, you should remove MSN Explorer and use Internet Explorer for browsing the Internet. Microsoft suggests that you use Internet Explorer because it offers better security and is customizable, yet the default configuration of Windows XP installs MSN Explorer anyway.

In a domain environment where you are deploying Windows XP using unattended installations, you can use the answer file to remove MSN Explorer from the default installation. Simply add the line msnexplr=off to the [component] section of the answer file. On a standalone computer, remove MSN Explorer from Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.