Stained Windows! Microsoft To Mark Illegal Copies

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp...9720&sec=prodit

PIRATED software users be warned. Microsoft Corp is going to start “nagging” Windows users who do not have a legitimate copy of its operating system (OS).

Starting tomorrow, the software giant will permanently flag personal computers that are not running a genuine copy of Windows.

This move affects the six million Windows users in this country, as well as those in the United States, Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

Industry sources informed In.Tech that the software giant is giving Windows the ability to tell if a user's PC is running a genuine or pirated version of the OS, via an update patch that becomes available from tomorrow.

The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC user manually download the latest Windows updates.

If the OS is an unauthorised copy, a pop-up dialogue box will appear on the Windows login screen, informing the user that his copy of the OS is counterfeit and that he should get a genuine copy.

WGA1.jpg

DIALOGUE BOX: The notification that will appear on the login screen. It can be temporarily suppressed by clicking "Resolve Later".

A notification stating “This copy of Windows is not genuine. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.” is also permanently “tattooed” to the bottom righthand corner of the same screen.

WGA2.jpg

PIRATE MARK: The "tattoo" that will be permanently affixed to the login screen.

Another pop-up message which states that “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine. Click this balloon to resolve now.” will appear at random times whenever the computer is in use.

WGA3.jpg

WINDOWS DESKTOP: A 'nagulator' notification will pop-up as a system tray bubble every now and then, reminding its user to 'get genuine'.

The only way to stop the messages from appearing is to replace the OS with a genuine copy, available from any of Microsoft's authorised dealers in the country.

All together now

When contacted by In.Tech, Microsoft Malaysia said the Windows update is being released simultaneously in all five countries.

K.T. Ng, group manager for Windows Client solutions at Microsoft Malaysia, said the update is part of the second wave of the software giant's Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) initiative.

The initiative is aimed at protecting its customers and partners from counterfeit software, he said.

It is not to punish anyone using pirated copies of Windows, but to better serve Microsoft's genuine users.

“Genuine Windows users are rewarded with Internet Explorer 7.0 (IE7) and Windows Defender,” said Ng.

IE7 is an even more secure version of Microsoft's web browser while Windows Defender is an antispyware tool (see In.Tech, April 18 and 20 for more details).

PC users with systems that have been tattooed will not be able to download IE7 or Windows Defender, but will still receive security patches for Windows.

Beware the 'nagulator'

Ng has nicknamed the automatic antipiracy pop-up message system as the “nagulator.”

He said it would nag users of counterfeit copies of Windows into going legitimate.

“But if you are a businessman or a corporate executive, it would also be embarrassing to have the nagulator pop-up during a PC-based presentation or during an office visit by clients or potential customers,” he said.

According to Ng, the nagulator would also alert consumers to counterfeit copies of Windows.

He said counterfeiters have been able to reproduce Microsoft product packaging to the point where consumers are unable to tell genuine from imitation.

“Those customers will now have peace of mind,” he said. “Also, users who buy a PC or laptop preloaded with Windows, will be able to check if they are victims of software piracy.”

Microsoft officially launched its WGA initiative in July last year.

It estimates that about 200,000 Windows users in Malaysia will have their systems validated tomorrow because they have opted for automatic updates.

Unless I'm missing something, it's OK by me. Shareware has nag screens, why not commercial products?

Exactly. Rumor has it that the WGA update after this one may detect multiple uses of the same key and disable those PCs that were somehow illegally activated after the first install using the key. Time for people to buy legit copies.

I've read so many times about people buying computers from "legitimate computer stores" and having pirated software, so this sounds good for them. Nothing worse than buying something and then having to dump more money for a "real" operating system.

Just hope that it doesn't give "false pirated copy notices" to folks with genuine copies. This IS Microsoft, after all :D

Liz

I had a customer bring me a computer with this key used

http://www.zen51445.zen.co.uk/images/devils0wn.jpg

A part of me just wanted to reinstall the same pirated copy, he brought me(I did not). I told him I could reinstall ME, that is what the computers COA had, or he would have to purchase XP. He decided to bite the bullet and spend the money to keep xp on his computer.

I don't think the stained window should piss off too many people, unless they unknowingly purchased a pirated copy.

People have come in to work before with a CD-Key on a post-it note saying they want XP installed. No chance

... Just hope that it doesn't give "false pirated copy notices" to folks with genuine copies. This IS Microsoft, after all :D ...

THAT'S what I was missing ... MS will screw things up.

Actually, we're gonna hear endless whining about how "My copy's legit why is Microsoft doing this to me they suck so much I'm never gonna buy another MS product but I have to get my stuff off this thing so I might as well pay them son's o' b's even though like I said my copy's legit but I swear I'll never ..."

I'm tired of listening to it already and it hasn't even begun! :lol:

missing the true point here....what is next? Will they be scanning our hard drives to see what else we might have? Its about privacy.Open the door,let them in and you have no privacy.

If M$ can find a way to mess this up,they will.Not known for doing things right the first time. I see a 'patch' for the update and then a patch for the patch somewhere down the line.

For a company that depends almost entirely on its software for revenue,they seem to be bending over backwards to drive people to open source.

missing the true point here....what is next? Will they be scanning our hard drives to see what else we might have? Its about privacy.Open the door,let them in and you have no privacy.

If M$ can find a way to mess this up,they will.Not known for doing things right the first time. I see a 'patch' for the update and then a patch for the patch somewhere down the line.

For a company that depends almost entirely on its software for revenue,they seem to be bending over backwards to drive people to open source.

God forbid they attempt to enforce the STEALING of their software. PIRACY IS ROBBERY

And if people hate Microsoft SO MUCH, somebody will come out with a retail Operating System that will be better then them. (of course, easier said then done - the process of getting together zillions of lines of code for a operating system like XP, of course there will be patches and fixes!)

I don't have a problem with what they are doing, as stated in this thread. I do have a problem when they require me to purchase a new copy of windows if I want to upgrade my motherboard(a little off subject). Protecting their product is fine, but they seem to do this at the expence of screwing some of thier customers.

Edited by shanenin

this will send more people screaming for Linux or getting rid of their PC's and going to Mac I think.

Let them do it I say, in the long run they may actually hurt themselves, I agree with idea of protecting their software, but as stated before, what kind of effect will this have on legit customers who "accidently" get snagged by this bugger?

For example, do I have to worry about getting nailed for it because I lost my cd key and called them for a replacement keycode????

I'll let you know what happens. I guarantee if it does happen first thing I'm doing is calling them up and yelling at them to get that off my machine.

I agree with their reasons for doing this, but do wonder too if it will give off false positives? And how will it treat non-XP older Windows systems? And what will our various antivirus/firewalls/antispyware programs have to say about this invader update? Seems like they had better have it right the first go-around with no patches needed, or else they will really deserve bad press and consumer anger over it.

By the way will they also devise nagware to get those of us with older systems to upgrade? If they do, they had better be ready to lower their XP prices to make that feasible.

Pat

God bless everyone

this will send more people screaming for Linux or getting rid of their PC's and going to Mac I think.

Nobody will go out and buy a brand new computer because of this. Joe Blow doesn't know how to use Linux, and he definitly doesn't want to go out and purchase a new computer. You can expect some sort of problem to take place with the new idea - but there are always issues in everything new. However, 10 times out of 10, unless you have a pirated copy, if you call up Microsoft (or India) and tell them, you'll get a new code when you have activation problems

Nobody will go out and buy a brand new computer because of this. Joe Blow doesn't know how to use Linux, and he definitly doesn't want to go out and purchase a new computer. You can expect some sort of problem to take place with the new idea - but there are always issues in everything new. However, 10 times out of 10, unless you have a pirated copy, if you call up Microsoft (or India) and tell them, you'll get a new code when you have activation problems

have you ever been in a linux forum?

you would be surprised at how many "joe blows" are already jumping into linux because of the occasional "accidents" caused by Microsofts anti-piracy processes. Age no longer is a factor for people coming to linux. I'm not saying everyone will go running to linux or apple. BTW you can get mac OSX for the PC also.

As stated in the article,

This move affects the six million Windows users in this country, as well as those in the United States, Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

so figure out of that six million, approximately 1% to 2% will jump ship. thats six to twelve thousand people. Yes it's not all of them, but it is still a good number. The only people that this won't concern are the ones that have a genuine copy, or are willing to call MS and tell them they made a mistake. Knowing MS they probably will want a copy of the sales reciept to fix this issue, which means if you want to keep you mistakenly marked copy of Windows, yo uwill probably have to wait for about 3 to 4 weeks before that happens. There are some people that refuse to wait that long, Businesses are one of them, it can hurt their reputation as a trusted business.

as of right now, there are approximately 29 million linux users, so linux isn't just for the Geek anymore. in the forums I frequent, besides this one, I have talked to 45+ year old business owners who had legit copies of Windows for their business, They left Windows because of the mandatory SP2 update that took place last April. I have talked to grandmothers, kids, CEO's, Mothers, Fathers, and more that have switched from Windows to Linux and they did the install all by themselves. People aren't as afraid to learn something new as most think. And not all Linux machines are used for gaming, although that is what a lot of the Kids use it for.

I have to agree that some people will move to another OS if MS keeps it's prices up, continually releases bad updates and continues acting like big brother. I believe the many PC users who just use their computer to surf the web and email would be good candidates to switch to 'nix. I see many distros out now that takes little setup knowledge required by the user. The hardest part will be getting schools and businesses to engage in the cross platform usage. I detest that many schools require the use of Windows to do your work.

Well... Downloaded the GWA validation notification this morning. It's considered a high security update.

So far so good....YAY!!!

Have to restart your PC on this one. Was getting ready to give M$ heck. But all is OK. :D

Now I wonder how many are going to be in for a surprise today when they get their updates, restart their PCs and get the notification that "YOU ARE A PIRATE", "GO TO THE PIRATE SHIP AND WALK THE PLANK".... B)

This'll blow over just as XP's "phone home" scheme has. Some will revolt (as users of alternative OS's already have, or as I have by not upgrading to XP), but most will simply accept it (especially since it should have no effect whatsoever on legitimate users).

Worries about how much further they might go is pointless as they'll take it as far as the market will allow and as far as crooks and thieves force them to go. Microsoft is a business and they do care, believe it or not, about their customers, image and profits. Look how long they 'extended' support of '98. They did it in response to their customer's concerns, to improve their image as caring about their customers, and to not alienate past customers in hopes they'd buy MS products in the future.

It's not like we have no choice (while alternatives have their limitations, so does Windows).

nagulator=BillyTrojan

This is done with no malice and is not meant to be a flame.

"so figure out of that six million, approximately 1% to 2% will jump ship. thats six to twelve thousand people"

Do the math again, that is 60k to 120k people. Another 60k Linux people would be very good for the Linux community.

No one can argue that piracy is wrong. Someone spent their capital on producing the software and they deserve a return. In this day and time, there are free alternatives for every program from OS to Audio. If you dont want to pay a hundred bucks for the OS, download a Linux distro. I GUARANTEE you will spend more than a hundred dollars of your personal time coming up to speed. M$ products are for the masses, those that don't want to put effort in something else. Just cave in and buy it....

Having said that, I am opposed to a callback feature in any software. M$ use of an internet connection I pay for to spy on me is unacceptable. I didn't like dongles on Autocad, and I don't like this.

BH

I still find it hilarious how when MS comes out with something that validates your authenticity, they always bundle it with some "critical update". I remember when WGA came out...there were like 8 "critical updates" that needed to be installed along with it. :rolleyes:

Personally, I am about to switch to Linux on the majority of my machines and forget about MS' nagging, spamming, activating & validation BS. You buy something and expect it to be clean, simple and safe.

Just wait until Vista comes out, it is going to have so much privacy invading, piracy detecting BS you won't even be able to use it.

A friend of mine is in partnership with Microsoft and gets multi-user licenses on virtually their entire product line, I can get as many valid installs of MS software as I want from him. He has told me that even he is considering scrapping MS and completely converting over to Linux. So many people that I know are utterly sick and tired of this piracy cat and mouse game that MS is playing.

Judging from the amount of protection in place by MS through windows update, I have a feeling that the people that actually pirate their software don't generally even go to windows update anyway...so all this extra "feature" does is bug the shit out of people that actually pay for the software to begin with.

Just curious and this might have been answered, but if it was I missed it. What if you don't install the patch? Will they install it for you like they did with SP2, I see two things to install in my Windows Update one is a patch and one is the WGA Notification patch. What if I just install the normal windows patch and not the other, will they just assume I have a pirated copy of Windows? Does anyone know?

B

Just curious and this might have been answered, but if it was I missed it. What if you don't install the patch? Will they install it for you like they did with SP2, I see two things to install in my Windows Update one is a patch and one is the WGA Notification patch. What if I just install the normal windows patch and not the other, will they just assume I have a pirated copy of Windows? Does anyone know?

B

When you go to install the updates I believe the WGA isn't removable from the list. I haven't tried it yet. I wait to install updates after I don't see threads that state the freaking updates messed me up. Maybe I'll try it. The most it can do is place an annoying image on my PC until I remove it. I wonder if it can tell this isn't the dead Gateway that got trashed. hahahahaha