I was always under the impression that XP would not let you change the motherboard, do to anti-piracy reasons. Does anyone have and experience doing this?

Obviouly it would be best to do a clean install after changing the motherboard. If that is not an option will xp handle the change well?

XP OEM is locked to the motherboard, retail isn't. I have heard the newest Windows Genuine Validation (WGA) is going to be much stricter on new installs and reinstalls. It might also detect if the same XP key is used on multiple PCs and may disable all those illegally activated after the original. Yes to reinstall and re-activation of XP after motherboard change unless it is the exact same motherboard.

After install it will notice a totally different hardware scheme and reequest activation in the next 3 days - but when you call to reactiviate just say that you reloaded you software.

Technically you are supposed to replace the motherboard with an identical version after neccesity of replacing to use Windows on it - but who can afford to pay the extra cash after forking out for a new MOBO?

is that how you guys do it at the shop you work at?

I suppose people may not want to pay the extra fee to reinstall fresh.

I've always had to do a repair install after installing a new mobo (that's where the message comes up)

Most people will want XP reinstalled (we generally charge $65 for an easy reinstall, if they had recovery/driver CD's to $75 if we have to download drivers ourself) With the MOBO install and an XP reload will run around $100 plus motherboard cost.

by doing a repair install, that should leave all of their programs, data and drivers installed, right?

Do you guys usually reccomend a clean install, or just typically do a repair install? I apprecciate all of your practical experience

by doing a repair install, that should leave all of their programs, data and drivers installed, right?

Do you guys usually reccomend a clean install, or just typically do a repair install? I apprecciate all of your practical experience

Repair install only effects Windows files - however, once time I did have windows become non-bootable after doing a repair (it was on my home PC) 99% of the time after the repair, all you have to do is reload windows updates, since it reverts you OS to the version from the CD

I personally recommend a full install - cleans out all the spyware/viruses. Only downside is backing up customer data, reloading updates, and finding drivers. Backing up data can be solved by investing in an external hard drive and when the customer drops off the PC - ask if worst case you can reload without backing anything up. There is no faster way to install updates then to just hook up the computer to a Network Connection (a usb to ethernet adaptor will work for old computers or computer w/out nic cards) Drivers can be found on manufactures websites (except for eMachines, custom built computers, and computers with replaced parts) Then you're forced to use patience and DriverGuide.com (which has been pissing me off lately because of their increase in adds and pop-up crap.)

Drivers can be found on manufactures websites (except for eMachines, custom built computers, and computers with replaced parts)

I have had good luck with emahines websight. They seem to have all of the drivers I need. HPs seems to not have most of thier drivers listed.

I have never gotten drivers from DriverGuide.com. I usually just goto the chipset manufactures: sis, intel, via. Since most different manufactures use common chipsets

Drivers can be found on manufactures websites (except for eMachines, custom built computers, and computers with replaced parts)

I have had good luck with emahines websight. They seem to have all of the drivers I need. HPs seems to not have most of thier drivers listed.

I have never gotten drivers from DriverGuide.com. I usually just goto the chipset manufactures: sis, intel, via. Since most different manufactures use common chipsets

I'm talking about Modem's, NIC cards, on board audio - on DriverGuide you can usually punch in numbers off the hardware (or do that through google) and get your driver

I charge extra for HP/Compaq because of their crappy driver support. I have gotten to the point when I do locate the drivers for a customers HP/Compaq I burn them to a CD and save it to my collection. As for modems, sound cards and graphics I usually update those drivers to a stable version. I also install the latest Adobe Reader, Java, WinZip and etc. which I have on disk. This adds a nice touch to a fresh installation for the customer. If they are into image editing I also include the latest IrfanView with plug-ins. I will also set them up with the AV/firewall of their choice (Avast/Sygate if no choice given), AdAware SE and SpywareBlaster. I also ask if they want Opera or Firefox (I push them to install Opera).

I'm talking about Modem's, NIC cards, on board audio - on DriverGuide you can usually punch in numbers off the hardware (or do that through google) and get your driver

I am talking about those also. for example the information below is from a hp computer I own. I got this info using a live linux cd, but many windows apps can do the same thing

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
0000:02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0000:02:0a.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge (non-transparent mode) (rev 12)

Usually the first thing I like to get is the ethernet driver. According to the info given above. My computer uses a common chipset, RTL-8139/8139C/8139C. To get these drivers I go directly to the chipset manufacture, Realtek. The driver they give will work for any motherboard that uses this common chipset.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...6&Software=True

next using the info given above I know my integrated video card is the 82845G/GL[brookdale-G]/GE Chipset . Now I go directly to the manufactures website, which is intel

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...45&submit=Go%21

for the audio, I also goto the realtek semiconductor company.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=True

below is the info from a different computer of mine with an asus motherboard. I could goto the asus sight for drivers(probably prefered), or I could goto the via sight and use the generic drivers. Sometimes when I am working on an ubscure computer, with an ubscure motherboard it is easier to goto the chipset manufactures.

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 80)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [K8T800 South]
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

I am not knocking driverguide.com. Now that you say they have good drivers, I will use them as a resource. I thought this technique may be useful to someonw else having to track down drivers.

the time it takes to load up a livecd is not that much quicker then the time it takes to open the case, and write the numbers down. if you have a generic printer that you can hook up to the computer, providing the work is being done in your shop, you can print out the lspci info then you have them readily available to type in and get the drivers when you boot up the new system. Then I keep that copy with the code for that specific mobo/hardware configuration and the computer model it is in, that way I don't have to do it again if I get a similar system to work on.

I have been lucky lately, I have had a lot of customers ask me about Linux, so I show them a Live CD, next thing I know they are asking me how much to install and how much a service contract is.

I have been getting more customers asking about linux then windows lately. In the last month alone I have installed Linux on 25 machines, and Windows on 5 machines. Thats not a bad thing IMHO, I'm making money with no major cost factor being involved like I do to have Windows XP available. Plus I get a yearly contract with them for Linux support. I still get paid on every visit, but they get a slight discount because of the contract. Same standard contract I use on Windows, but no discount on the windows side, because I get more calls from Windows users then i do from Linux users.

if you change your mother board

\you have no option

reinstall xp.

ive changed my mpother board 3 times in the last year

and ive had to reinstall xp

each time.

the activation key makes

no difference. as long as your disk is legal.

if it wasnt

i wouldnt have an operating sys

and ime posting here with it

marty

I have had a lot of customers ask me about Linux, so I show them a Live CD, next thing I know they are asking me how much to install and how much a service contract is.

I have been getting more customers asking about linux then windows lately. In the last month alone I have installed Linux on 25 machines, and Windows on 5 machines.

Any business would be great; linux business would be a dream come true.

I wish I was getting that kind of business. This last month for me just sucked. I am barely breaking even on my yellow pages ad and phone line. On a positive note, the few calls I have got have been referrals or repeat customers. I know I have been giving people great prices with great service, it is just a matter of time for stuff to pick up.

Edited by shanenin

I have had a lot of customers ask me about Linux, so I show them a Live CD, next thing I know they are asking me how much to install and how much a service contract is.

I have been getting more customers asking about linux then windows lately. In the last month alone I have installed Linux on 25 machines, and Windows on 5 machines.

Any business would be great; linux business would be a dream come true.

I wish I was getting that kind of business. This last month for me just sucked. I am barely breaking even on my yellow pages ad and phone line. On a positive note, the few calls I have got have been referrals or repeat customers. I know I have been giving people great prices with great service, it is just a matter of time for stuff to pick up.

just remember, your best advertising is free. Word of mouth. the first year is always the leanest, and is generally your primary make or break year. If you can get through the first 2 years, even with a couple of months just breaking even, you're doing good.

The toughest part is not being able to work a regular full time job in this lean time; I need to be availbale to the customer. If I am not able to answer the phone, the customer just calls the next person in the phone book. then I lose the sale :-(

just remember, your best advertising is free. Word of mouth. the first year is always the leanest, and is generally your primary make or break year. If you can get through the first 2 years, even with a couple of months just breaking even, you're doing good.

The toughest part is not being able to work a regular full time job in this lean time; I need to be availbale to the customer. If I am not able to answer the phone, the customer just calls the next person in the phone book. then I lose the sale :-(

Edited by shanenin

Woops, double post. It's been a hard 3 weeks at work (I'm suprised my boss even had me come in since there wasn't too much to do) But around here it always back up, we'll have weeks with 25+ computers to fix, and others with less than 7