what is the chances of having a registry forum.

the reason i ask is twice in the last week ive fixed a problem through the registry.

in my favourites i have several reg tweaks.im sure there are many here who have this expertise.

marty

yes sounds good for a new user of XP & trying to learn all i can on computers, just wish i had not of waited so long to learn theres more to a computer than playing on line games. .......... & MARTY has helped me already learn a lot. .... STAY SAFE

Hi Everyone,

Well, I was thinking about this and I decieded that registry tweaks, tips, changes, hacks, questions, should either be put in the Windows Support forum or the Windows Tips and Tricks forum. Now, depending on if it's a registry question or a registry tip, hack, tweak, etc.. That's how you can determine which place is better for that post. The reason I am not going to make a registry forum is because it's not something that I think is a wide enough topic to make a forum out of.

Good idea Marty keep them coming.

Cya all on the boards.

B

I agree that a registry tweak forum is not a good plan, mainly because of the problems it can cause with n00b users trying to edit the registry.

Many users do not even know that the registry exists and that is exactly the way it should remain, and is why it is so hidden from prying eyes. As users become more knowledgable and learn about the registry, they also have enough computer knowledge to know that it is something they shouldn't play with without proper instruction.

It's better that they ask us questions as they have them, then it gives us the opportunity to post the cautions that should be taken when working in the registry.

Dave

I agree that a registry tweak forum is not a good plan, mainly because of the problems it can cause with n00b users trying to edit the registry.

Many users do not even know that the registry exists and that is exactly the way it should remain, and is why it is so hidden from prying eyes. As users become more knowledgable and learn about the registry, they also have enough computer knowledge to know that it is something they shouldn't play with without proper instruction.

It's better that they ask us questions as they have them, then it gives us the opportunity to post the cautions that should be taken when working in the registry.

Dave

Chappy, I was thinking the same thing

i would like to learn to use the registry.twice now ive had to reinstall xp

but i found later i could have fixed it with a reg tweak

but i do agree with dave a new user can get into trouble not knowing what to do.

the problem here is if we wait to get a reg fix from the posters on this board it how long before we get an answer.there arnt many posters any where who can handle the answers and questions.at the moment i need a fix for the components services which ive posted on 3 boards.and havent got a fix yet other than reinstalling xp

so im in this catergory of six of one and half dozen of the other.i went to microsoft knowledge base and it said it could be fixed with a tweak in the registry.

i dont kow how to do this. so if we had a reg board with these sort of fixes.i wouldnt need to reinstall.

i know all about a new user in the reg.i did on cfh. and dave had to bail me out .and ive shied away from it since.

marty

Hey Marty

Sorry I haven't been able to be much help lately as I've been having some major issues myself lately, but I'm working thru them as I can.

If you could point me to that MSKB page that shows the registry edit I would be glad to walk you thru the fix.

Tweaks are great for cosmetics and expanding existing program capabilities but to Edit for repairs is way more complex and most of us need help in that area by the developer experts.

I would have no idea what to edit for your fix but if shown, I can help you go thru it.

Dave

hi dave just got back to the thread the problem ihave i need to go in and close the hole for the blaster and the sasser worm.which ive done each time ive installed winxp.and to get there i need to go through component services.

here is acopy of the post i sent to the other board.not sure if i can be helped or not if i was sure that im protected from those worms i wouldnt worry about it

marty

snap in problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im not sure how to explain my prob.

ive lost the function of the win component snap in

when i go to start -run -type mmc -console root -in the file menu /add/ remove ..snap in/add/in the right hand window.highlight win components.

and i get the message

snap in failed to initialise in component services

hope ive explained this properly some one may be able to help here.this is for

winxppro

some one on the other board suggested i try the reg.well i was lost as soon as i read that.

is this possable

thanks

marty