Blizzard Of 06

Well it's over today. Got up into the mid 50s.

Plow came by around 5:30 this morning. And got started shoveling snow around 8:00.

Lead had a reported 59.6 inches of snow at 9:00 PM last night. 1,100 telephone poles were down around the area. And a total of 12,800 people without power. They are now trucking in sandbags, so when all this snow melts. The lower areas will be prepared. (And I've seen some good floods from these kinda spring storms).

Here are a couple of more pics of the white stuff.

post-60-1145572681_thumb.jpg

post-60-1145572705_thumb.jpg

Lots to go around if anyone wants some......LOL

WoW!!!

Did this storm set any records for snow amount, or for lateness in year for this bad a blizzard etc?

Will you need to sandbag around your place to prevent the meltoff of snow behind your place from entering your place rather than going around it?

Take care you don't get to exhausted doing snow removal and any sandbagging!!!

Pat

God bless everyone.

Officially 76 inches of snow fell at this time. Close to a record for us. But 116 inches is the all time record for snowfall in one blizzard....

All the sand bags will be for the lower towns, Deadwood, Spearfish, Sturgis, and Rapid City. Lead set above them all. They are reporting in Rapid City an increase in creek size this afternoon already.

And our new Super Wallmart in the town of Spearfish had to evacuate because the roof started to collapse because of the snow.. LOL...

My trees are all blooming out, and they are all fine. Now it's a wait to see if any of the flowers survived, but I think they will be o.k. too. All the seeds will love the moisture.

Send it along!

Yowza, that's a LOT of snow. I must have missed that on the news, all I recall is mention of "snow," not a huge freakin' blizzard.

I can barely remember the last time we had snow piled up over our heads. Yeah, that's right, I'm sayin' it out loud: We hardly ever get that much snow. (Go ahead Mother Nature, I DARE you!)

Sorry, but had to chuckle when I looked at the last picture. The shovel stuck in the snow like somebody had taken a break after shoveling ALL that snow is funny. Now...I'm not saying shoveling snow is funny...

I thot they said on the Weather Channel this morning that some roads are closed yet. Maybe heard it wrong...5AM is not my best hour.

Usually the "Banana Belt", which is what one of the eastern South Dakota TV station calls the Rapid City area, has better weather than us, but NOT this year. We (eastern SD, southwest Minnesota) had a pretty mild winter and not much snow...for which I am very grateful!

Sure hope it's not gonna be another 1997, with all that flooding!

Officially 76 inches of snow fell at this time. Close to a record for us. But 116 inches is the all time record for snowfall in one blizzard....

All the sand bags will be for the lower towns, Deadwood, Spearfish, Sturgis, and Rapid City. Lead set above them all. They are reporting in Rapid City an increase in creek size this afternoon already.

And our new Super Wallmart in the town of Spearfish had to evacuate because the roof started to collapse because of the snow.. LOL...

My trees are all blooming out, and they are all fine. Now it's a wait to see if any of the flowers survived, but I think they will be o.k. too. All the seeds will love the moisture.

Hello JSKY.

My S.O.'s sister is building a "cabin" in Spearfish Canyon. They thought it was going to be finished this week, but the 5 feet of snow put things off.

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

High 70s today. What was 5 foot of snow now looks like a foot and a half. Heavy darn stuff to move now. And the coolest blue in color. Yes it's blue, it's so full of water. They say the water is equal to 4 inches of rain. All the creeks are starting to come up fast. I don't think there will be a major flood like 97. We got 3 days of solid rain right after the snow back then. But they say rain for Monday. So you never know.

Joe....Give your family a week and they should be able to get their cabin finished. The way the snow is melting. you'll never know it snowed. But I hope they aren't building next to the creek in Spearfish Canyon. Or they may have problems.

Oh, yeah, Jsky, I know all about Blue Snow. Pretty, isnt it? Especially when you know the blue means it's melting!

Showed the blizzard pictures to Daughter who said, "I am SO not ever living in South Dakota!" Until I told her it was in the high 70's today. :D

Liz

I want snow so bad

it was

100+ for 3 days here (texas)

Well.....get in your car and come on up to South Dakota. But bring a shovel. :lol:

We're gong to have snow flurries Wednesday night. You just couldn't keep that weather there could you. :D

LOL :lol:

Don't worry. It's now in the 30s again. and their saying more snow.....And it was in the high 70s yesterday :angry2: Isn't winter ever going to get over???? :blink:

WoW JSKY....did you ever get dumped on.... :blink: Hope it doesn't decide to come up North... :lol:

We have been enjoying a real warm and sunny April for awhile now that the last dump in March we had is all

gone, and at that it was nothing compared to what your pictures show. :huh:

Don't put your snow shovel away....you may have to use it for a paddle when all that melts... :wacko:

Take care JSKY...

Well.....The latest storm only dumped another foot of the white stuff on us. Wish it would get it out of it's system already :angry2: ....... I hope everyone out east of me gets bypassed by this never ending winter :( .....

They downgraded us to frost warnings. I wish the rain would stop. My grass is getting a good jump on me.

MAN!!!!!

I wish I had your problems. :(

LOL