Installing A Capacitor

Okay, I plan on installing a capacitor (1.0 farad or more) into my system.

Here is my plan: Cut current power wire (runs from battery to amp) and cut ground (chassis to amp) and have the capacitor in the middle. So...

Battery++++++++Cap++++++Amps

Chassis------Cap-----------Amps

The only thing I am unsure about it whether or not I can have the Cap between the Amp and ground for the ground wire. All things online have shown two wires to the ground, but I only want to run one.

As far as circuits go, it looks correct - just help me out if I'm missing somthing obvious here!

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing your trying to kill engine hum. the cap is between + and the amp, as for two wires to ground, so amps have two different grounds, so tie these together and run a larger multi strand wire. remember electricity runs from negative (ground) to positive (hot). the bigger your ground cable (or the more cables combined) the more current that can flow to the stereo

Jeesch, don't they make a capacitor with easy install for that application? It's no like there ain't no one out there with that problem. Cars make noise... It could be your system is hooked up wrong too..... Who did it?

Jeesch, don't they make a capacitor with easy install for that application? It's no like there ain't no one out there with that problem. Cars make noise... It could be your system is hooked up wrong too..... Who did it?

Capacitors don't stop engine noise - they soften the power drain coming from the battery. I got it hooked up - I just grounded it to the chasis where the amp is grounded .

Capacitors don't stop engine noise - they soften the power drain coming from the battery. I got it hooked up - I just grounded it to the chasis where the amp is grounded .

accually thqat is incorrect.

a 3uf cap can filter the alternator noise as long as you couple it with a coil.

they make filters that have the coil and cap for filtering out the alternator noise.

now if you are getting ignition noise, from the plugs firing, that would mean the plug wires are leaking.

capictors do many things in electronics.

they filter, store energy, then can create a voltage drop, they can clean up ac out of dc vooltages.

accually thqat is incorrect.

a 3uf cap can filter the alternator noise as long as you couple it with a coil.

they make filters that have the coil and cap for filtering out the alternator noise.

now if you are getting ignition noise, from the plugs firing, that would mean the plug wires are leaking.

capictors do many things in electronics.

they filter, store energy, then can create a voltage drop, they can clean up ac out of dc vooltages.

Oh, well I don't have any noise what-so-ever!