http://rootkit.com/newsread.php?newsid=471

I really don't believe everything I read on the net so can someone clarify this please?

Basically what it's saying is that the company that owns Ad-Aware pumps it up to be more than it actually is. I didn't read through the whole thing but I'm also getting the impression that maybe the program makes false claims about what it can/will find by using 'beefed up' reference files.

Reads like some arrogant pre-teen thinks he could do better but will never achieve the success of Ad-Aware so he took the time to criticize it instead. It's not perfect? Oooo! Stop the presses!

If he knew what he was talking about he would write a better program and get rich doing it. As soon as you see his better product, let me know.

The only thing to ask this person is "And?"

<sarcasm>

Wow, you just pointed out that malware can make protection tools not work! Never knew that before!

</sarcasm>

Basically, all it doing is pointing out, in a very technical way, that malware can interfere with your anti-spyware tools. We all knew that already, which is why we use more than one. (and if all else fails, we move to manual removal).

bearskin, I'm glad you pointed it out. It shows how people like to over-dramatize things.

Basically what it's saying is that the company that owns Ad-Aware pumps it up to be more than it actually is. I didn't read through the whole thing but I'm also getting the impression that maybe the program makes false claims about what it can/will find by using 'beefed up' reference files.

Exactly. The gist of it is that the definitions file is vulnerable (points 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5) and the marketing is misleading (points 2.6, both 2.7s). Interesting article.

well hell, if 10,000,000 people use it (including me) it can't be that bad...after all it's free.

It's not. Even though AdAware & Spybot aren't the greatest with a lot of the newer and tougher infections, they are still very good programs; the best free ones anyway. If youre going to retain anything from the article, it should be just a bit of understanding on how the program works. Many more flaws could be found in programs such as... Norton :matrix:

this article is written by some one who has his own agenda

and is bad mouthing other applis

just ignore the p----k

marty

p----k ? Can't think of a suitable cuss word to fill that

LOL, I can.....you aren't old enough, hon...

Liz

... Many more flaws could be found in programs such as... Norton :matrix:

Best point yet. A technical analysis of any security software would reveal its flaws, and an analysis of something like Norton's or McAfee's would be a very long article indeed.