According to my bios hardware moniter my cpu temp is 76 degrees C. According to my asus probe software my cpu temp is 61 degrees C. Do you think the hardware moniter that is in my bios menu more accurate?

I do realize those temps are high, I am more curious to what the real temp is. If it is 76C, I need to get it lower, if it is just 61C, I am doing fine.

actually 61 is also bad. When my Athlon XP 3000+ hit 60, the performance went right down the toilet. Sometimes I've noticed when checkin temps in the BIOS they can be higher than my Gigabyte utiltiy, sometimes it'll be lower, and sometimes it'll even be approx. the same.

Yes, in any case those are high temperatures for the CPU. That is quite a difference in temperatures, but in any case you should look at better cooling methods.

Before you go buy any cooling components you should first try cleaning up any dust from inside your PC, around the fans and organizing your cables. Use canned air if you have it. I usually detach my fans and clean them off with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. I've noticed that after I arranged my cables by tying them up away from the intake and exhaust air streams my motherboard temperature dropped by 5-degress!

If, after the general housekeeping, your PC is still reporting high temperatures it may be time to look at better/more cooling. How many fans do you have in your PC? How many intake/exhaust? Do you have a good heatsink-fan (HSF) for your CPU?

Have you tried Everest? That CPU should idle at 34-45C with a stock heatsink depending on internal case temperature.

no, but wouldn't that be similar to the asus software I am already using? I wonder why their is a 15 degree difference beteen the readings my bio give and the asus software.

Have you tried Everest? That CPU should idle at 34-45C with a stock heatsink depending on internal case temperature.

no, but wouldn't that be similar to the asus software I am already using? I wonder why their is a 15 degree difference beteen the readings my bio give and the asus software.

I have no idea how the ASUS software works. I have read too many times that different mobo manufacturer' software is usually not accurate.

Honda_Boy

You should check the airflow in your case. 52C is high for an idle temp reading for the 2600+.

Honda_Boy

You should check the airflow in your case. 52C is high for an idle temp reading for the 2600+.

It's warmish but not terribly so. Low 50s would be pretty ordinary for the Thoroughbred version, and slightly high for the Barton version. Unless it goes up dramatically under load.

The systems with temp sensors I've dealt with always gave a higher reading in setup, I think the bios setup runs cpu at a higher load (just a guess). But I do know not all sensors give particularly accurate readings.

Honda_Boy

It's warmish but not terribly so. Low 50s would be pretty ordinary for the Thoroughbred version, and slightly high for the Barton version. Unless it goes up dramatically under load.

When my 2400+ starts hitting 50C I clean the dust out of it. I am still running the stock heatsink and fan. My idle temp doesn't approach 46C until the 90F weather arrives. With 60-70F room temps my CPU stays around 34-38C. I have the sides of the case removed with an 80MM fan hanging off a bungie cord aimed at the north bridge seeing as it's 40MM fan expired and I have a 120MM fan blowng on the hard drives. The worse I have ever seen my CPU at with the sides on, no other fans except the PSU in 100F room temp was 50C at idle. Of course I also have a mid-tower case that is roomy with round cables and the rest of the cables neatly placed out of the way of airflow.

My Bios temp reading is the same as shown in Everest.

Thanks for checking :-)

I installed everest, it shows the same temp as my asus probe software. My bios temp is still reading 10 - 15 higher.