I am reinstalling windows 98 se. The mother board is a p6set-ml , this is made my ecs. I have all of the drivers installed except this one, it is showing up in the device manager under other devices/ PCI Card. I am not sure if this is really even nessesary or what piece of hardware it is for. Any help would be appreciated.

I have installed the modem drivers, and ide chipset dirvers, amoung sound and video.

edit added//

my hunch is it is the pci modem card that is plugged in. I maybe have not completely installed them.

Edited by shanenin
Since you don't really need the modem, why not remove it and see if that takes care of it?

I knew someone would say that. I was doing this for sombody else. I try to do my best to stay out of the machines I work on. I am always worried I will somehow break something. I returned the computer today. They were happy windows is running smootly and they have sound again. Minus the little yellow "?" in the device manager, everything is running perfect.

it is probably even easier then memory.

I feel comfortable inside a machine. I guess I just try not to mess with the hardware if not needed. I have done several motherboard replacments for desktops. These required modifing the connecters to make everything work. The only hardware job I shy away from would be laptop repairs. I do not have the patience to take one apart(if the job came, I would probably take it). Other then something simple like replacing the harddrive, I am hesitiant to take the job.

Edited by shanenin

I observed my boss doing laptop repairs - and nowadays I feel comfortable doing it most of the time. Best bet is ussually to go online and find the manual because some models have annoying tabs hidden everywhere. Also, it's always great to have an open CD case to catch screws, you're lucky if you can rebuild a laptop with no more than 5 or 6 screws left over :)

I always hate switching out motherboards from Mass produced companies - they always have to use their own special connecters. All you need is just a dental pick and some time and it solves the problem

When I find unidentified devices in Device Manager I just:

1. Right-click the device and select "Update Driver"

2. Select "Install the Software Automatically (Recommended)" and OK.

3. Windows will scan all locations for a driver, one being Windows Update.

4. If a driver is found it will be installed automatically.

I find that Windows Update usually gets the those hard-to-find drivers. If Windows Update installs a driver and identifies the device you can easily look up any updated drivers from the manufacturer's site (usually better than the ones Windows installs).