so this post may save some one reinstalling windows

some time ago i lost the use of safe mode

and il_wiccan posted a fix

and it worked

and it is much similiar to this post

but i cant gurentee this particular fix

marty

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Safe Mode is very useful for troubleshooting computer problems. Normally you access Safe Mode by pressing F8 as your computer boots, then selecting it from the list of options. If you find that you are often using Safe Mode, you may want to add it to the list of options at the boot menu. This way you do not have to press F8 when you want to access it. You can accomplish this by editing the boot.ini file using the steps listed below:

Right click the My Computer icon on your desktop and click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Click the Edit button to open the boot.ini file.

Locate your default operating system. Copy and paste the line below the default.

Edit the line you just pasted by adding to the end: /safemode:minimal /sos /bootlog.

From the File menu, click Save.

Close the boot.ini file.

Now the Safe Mode option will appear in the boot menu list making it much easier to access.

Edited by martymas
  • 6 months later...

For a few systems where trying to hit F8 at just the right time, that BOOT.INI edit is very handy.

Instead of trying to catch teh "F8 window", hitting any key will allow you to select Safe Mode from the Boot options list.

I suggest editiong the Timeout from the default 30 (seconds) to 3.

That way there's a reasonable window to strike a key and casually select the mode you want to boot to.

But it counts down fast enough that you don't feel like you're waiting "forever" when you want a normal boot.

MSCONFIG's BOOT.INI tab can change the timeout (and other boot options) if you don't want to use Notepad.

FYI, This is the BOOT.INI I use, which includes booting to the Recovery Console.

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Edited by CurlingSteve
  • 1 month later...
For a few systems where trying to hit F8 at just the right time, that BOOT.INI edit is very handy.

Instead of trying to catch teh "F8 window", hitting any key will allow you to select Safe Mode from the Boot options list.

I suggest editiong the Timeout from the default 30 (seconds) to 3.

That way there's a reasonable window to strike a key and casually select the mode you want to boot to.

But it counts down fast enough that you don't feel like you're waiting "forever" when you want a normal boot.

MSCONFIG's BOOT.INI tab can change the timeout (and other boot options) if you don't want to use Notepad.

FYI, This is the BOOT.INI I use, which includes booting to the Recovery Console.

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Looks a lot like mine ; only I have a dual boot so there are twice as many options; but I like the option of being able to boot to safe mode without having to tap F8 when I need it.

strange i use xppro

and when i right click my compt =properties

i get a window how to make a short cut on my k- board

the only way i can get into the boot ini option is the run box

and msconfig

what sys is this tip talking about

it must be win me or win 2.000

it aint on my sys

marty