My File Server Problems

OK Here is my problem. I had my file server running centos take a dump on me a week or so ago. I went and backed up everything and then did disk checks on all the drives. No errors. Now I then did a low level format on all the drives. now I just reinstalled centOS and I noticed that after I did a yum update and restarted, yes I know that is bad, it said during the shut down to restart that "IRQBALANCE - FAILED". what does this mean and how do I get in to check this.

is this a multi processor box?? if not it should fail,

remeber that kernel level process either run (sucess) or don't (fail) and not runnning is not alwyas bad, Cento OS, Like the Red Hat it's made on have generic kernels that build everything in.. so you may have a lot of things you never need.

Nope single processor. So if it should fail when will it? when it boots, it says it is ok. So I don't know what happens from there on out.

is this a multi processor box?? if not it should fail,

remeber that kernel level process either run (sucess) or don't (fail) and not runnning is not alwyas bad, Cento OS, Like the Red Hat it's made on have generic kernels that build everything in.. so you may have a lot of things you never need.

your probaly getting the irwbalance OK at boot because th eprocess was statrted, then see it fail later because it's not doing anything..

try services irqbalance stop

now what will this do? do i need this service on?

your probaly getting the irwbalance OK at boot because th eprocess was statrted, then see it fail later because it's not doing anything..

try services irqbalance stop

It seems only necessary for smp systems.

from what I read on this post, that service is only needed for multi processor boxes. If you only have a single processor, you can shut it off.

I am not sure, but p4s that support hyper threading may benefit form smp support

well this is a 500Mhz Celeron PC. So I think I would be ok to shut it off.

from what I read on this post, that service is only needed for multi processor boxes. If you only have a single processor, you can shut it off.

I am not sure, but p4s that support hyper threading may benefit form smp support