Hi gang! I know I haven't been around much lately. It's just been a very busy time for me, but I"m still alive. That matters, right? :blush:

Anyway, I've never dealt with a UPS before, and knew I could come here for some expertise. What I'd like to know is who do you know (calculate) how much the UPS should be able to handle? I have one that was given to me last night, but I want to make sure it can handle my computer. Are the calculations done in the same way as when you are trying to make sure your PS can handle your custom build machine?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

TIA!

Neldy :thumbsup:

You could go by this guide to give you an idea. For my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ system with 2x256MB PC2700 DDR,400W PSU, 2 hard drives, 2 CD drives, DSL modem, Canon Ink Jet printer, 3 fans and a 15" CRT monitor I use a 500VA 300W Belkin UPS. It has held up well for 5 years. I get many power outages/spikes here.

http://www.apcc.com/template/size/apc/inde...FTOKEN=80528232

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Hello Nerelda, it's good to see you again.

Go to the company website and look for manuals for youe model.

By the way my Belkin instructions say not to put the printer on battery side but on the separate surge control only plugs. I'd have to check wherever I put the info as to why...to much current draw when in use I think...can't quite remember. Mine is 1100 something or other....isn't that just like me to not know what it is...oh well...if I find it I'll let you know. OK It's 1100 VA. We bought it at Comp USA in January with $60 in instant savings and rebates so final price was only $70. Am still trying to translate the manual to set it up properly. It hasn't kicked in yet as I am pretty good about turning everything off and unplugging when it looks like there could be weather problems. Also don't forget to plug your phone line into it too if it's part of your computer system.

Pat

God bless everyone.

By the way my Belkin instructions say not to put the printer on battery side but on the separate surge control only plugs. I'd have to check wherever I put the info as to why...to much current draw when in use I think...can't quite remember

Printers, mainly laser printers, have very large inrush currents when they first fire up. If the UPS's inverter is asked to power that, it may not survive the experience.

On the backup side of my UPS I plug in the tower, monitor and DSL modem, phone line plus a small digital clock. My printer, scanner and stereo are plugged into a separate surge protector on another circuit that I can easily reach from my chair to switch off.

All of our networking equipment is already safely plugged into an UPS in my brother's room. I've just never had the money to purchase one myself. Now all I need to upgrade is the sound card (which can wait) and the Monitor (which I'm hoping can hold off til I find a REALLY good deal at a local store since I prefer to see my monitor before purchasing it.)

We use UPS's at our tower sites. We "hack" them to handle more up time. Basicly we put a deep cycle marine battery and wire the pos and neg leads.

But you will not want an 80 pound battery next to your computer desk...acid fumes and all...

Sorry no usefull info.

M

My "rule of thumb" is to first remember that you do not need enough battery power to run everything for a half hour or whatever. All you need is enough to be able to shut things down.

That covered; you also should know that if your total draw on the"battery backed up" outlets is close to the amount they are rated for you will keep discharging and the batteries and they will either be dead when needed; or if you constantly exceed the draw they run the risk of overheating and failing entirely. (There was a recall on some APC a year ago where this could cause a fire; fortunately they fixed this).

So my reccomendation is to add your power supply plus your monitors requirements (since really this is all you need to have on the battery) and make sure that you exceed that.

Say your monitor is rated 2A 120V ; call that 250W (actually 240VA) , and you have a 400Watt power supply.

So you then want at least 650Watt (VA) backup . In this case I would say a 675VA unit would be adequate.

Why not add 10 or 20%? Because you rarely will be u sing your full draw on the power supply.

Yes you could add up all the components inside your case and figure your actual draw ; but you know that it never exceeds the 400W; and most of the time it will be considerably less.

The other thing to double check is that the total you have plugged into the surge outlets plus the backed up ones does not exceed the total safe draw on the circuit.