If you have the money to invest in a new heatsink/fan, more case fans, and most likely a new CPU when you burn it out - you should just stick with what you have or just have bought a faster CPU in the first place

I believe AMD locked the clock speed to avoid re-tagging by some un-scrupulous PC builders. Back in the day you would get what you thought was a hot Athalon chip and what you had was a very very hot Duron. Done right most would never know but done wrong it was fried in short order with no warrantee.

Preston

If you have the money to invest in a new heatsink/fan, more case fans, and most likely a new CPU when you burn it out - you should just stick with what you have or just have bought a faster CPU in the first place

I believe AMD locked the clock speed to avoid re-tagging by some un-scrupulous PC builders. Back in the day you would get what you thought was a hot Athalon chip and what you had was a very very hot Duron. Done right most would never know but done wrong it was fried in short order with no warrantee.

Preston

It's a possibility with AMD chips (at least mine anyways) to turn up the CPU multiplyer and Front Side Bus - but honestly - it's not worth voiding the warrenty and frying the chip!

actually motherboards designed for AMD CPU's come with a utility that allows you to safely oc them. AMD chips are designed for OC more so then Intel chips are. the utility that comes with the MOBO is designed to keep from frying the chipset, based on ACPI info that the MOBO supplies. The software that the MOBO comes with will reduce the OC if the chip gets too hot.

I can currently and safely oc my AMD chip an extra 2.0, I just choose not to because it is fast enough as it is currently set.

actually motherboards designed for AMD CPU's come with a utility that allows you to safely oc them. AMD chips are designed for OC more so then Intel chips are. the utility that comes with the MOBO is designed to keep from frying the chipset, based on ACPI info that the MOBO supplies. The software that the MOBO comes with will reduce the OC if the chip gets too hot.

I can currently and safely oc my AMD chip an extra 2.0, I just choose not to because it is fast enough as it is currently set.

My ASUS A8N-SLI came with like a super advanced overclocking setup - including a setting inwhich it adjusts its speed several times per second - but like Dragon, mine stays at stock speed

My ASUS A8N-SLI came with like a super advanced overclocking setup - including a setting inwhich it adjusts its speed several times per second - but like Dragon, mine stays at stock speed

Built my PC over 3 years ago with an Asus P4P800 mobo - I have had the CPU oc'd to 3.2Ghz from 2.8Ghz since the day I built it - still runs well - no overheating problems etc. Love Asus's OC utility...

If your gonna oc you definately should invest in a new heatsink and fan though as someone said earlier. OCing w/ the stock fan can get the job done but is it really worth clinging to a 15$ heatsink/fan when you can drop $30-$45 and save a $200 investment..?

Edited by Cliff Krimmel