Make Yourself A Bootable Xp Cd

The BartPE Bootable XP CD is a great tool to have around.

Makes it easier to recover when (not if) your PC won't boot.

And you can do a drag and drop style backup of virtually your entire drive without those annoying "Access Denied" aborts during a copy.

About the only thing it won't copy (and I'm still experimenting) is the boot sector itself.

Since it will read and write to NTFS volumes you can get a lot of data off when the hard drive starts going "south".

And you can install it on your hard drive to have a second OS to boot to if XP hiccups.

With a little (well sometimes a lot) work you can even add your favorite applications to the CD.

I guess you can tell I like it.

I played around with that (it's still here somewhere).

But when I found that the BartPE will even copy the stored Registry hives and access restore points, I was sold.

And with plug-ins available for things like Ghost, AdAware,and McAfee (command-line) Anti Virus how can you go wrong?

Thanks CurlingSteve!

That sounds a lot better then what I use to recommend. Which was....

Ultimate Boot CD

Although maybe it is a little different but not by much. I think having both of those programs would be a great thing to have just in case.

B

hi B i bought the ultimate bootdisk and im not sure if it is the ultimate or not

here where i live it cost $12.

so im on a learning curve on how to use the thing.

i bought it because i wanted to use a boot for things other than windows

and i refer to mandrake or linux.but in the menu i see there is also boots for dos

win9x mac ect i havent been through the menu yet.but i could do with a few pointers.

marty

• 2 years later...

since my last post to this thread

i have the bart pe disk

and it is a great disk

it has many things i havent used yet

it has spybot

which you can access fron the the disk as well as up date it also has

hijack this

and info how to use it

i tried one appli

i had this hdd partition

which i had to wipe

the bartpe cd has several wipe programs

and this particular program wiped all partition on the hdd

it is a very good cd

tho ime an amateur many of you who are compt wise will love it

marty

I played around with that (it's still here somewhere).

But when I found that the BartPE will even copy the stored Registry hives and access restore points, I was sold.

And with plug-ins available for things like Ghost, AdAware,and McAfee (command-line) Anti Virus how can you go wrong?

Thats interesting. I have used the key finder plugin, which reads the registry hive. What are you doing that you need to access the restore points?

I was fooling around with RAM-disks at one point to use them for temp file storage, etc.

But the RAM disks appeared to the system as a hard drive, which System Restore insisted on including in its snapshot.

When the RAM-disk was cleared and rebuilt, say on a reboot, the Restore Point(s) were rendered invalid and unusable.

I used BartPE to copy off valid Restore Point sets so I could reload them after fooling around.