Programming Road

I figure as I am young and would like a computer career in the future, It would be best to learn a major computer language now. As a just in case kind of thing, and it is just nice to have it backing you up if I ever need it. C++ seems like it is one of the most popular computer languages out their, so where should I start. I have no knowledge of computer programming (aside from HTML and CSS if that counts) and would like to start somewhere easy and simple, but not something that will take forever to learn. Help appreciated.

Edited by Mistabigshot

Easy and simple doesn't describe c++ in any way IMO. Maybe python or java would be a better place to start. I dont know any python (several other users here do) but im taking java and like it alot and it shares some similar syntax with c++.

I figure as I am young and would like a computer career in the future, It would be best to learn a major computer language now. As a just in case kind of thing, and it is just nice to have it backing you up if I ever need it. C++ seems like it is one of the most popular computer languages out their, so where should I start. I have no knowledge of computer programming (aside from HTML and CSS if that counts) and would like to start somewhere easy and simple, but not something that will take forever to learn. Help appreciated.

HTML and CSS do not count, they are not programming languages. At best they will give you familiartity with formal languages and editing them in gneral but that is a very small part of programming. Languages in general are only a small part and once you know how to program they are fairly easy to pick up.

I'd suggest that if you want to learn to program, you should start with Ruby or Python. Java is probably a better first language than C++ but Ruby and Python are far better than it in turn.

not sure if I count but here are my two cents,

all pograming languages in my openoin as just as hard as others to learn and OOP's programing is even harder (Object Orentated Programing) as compaired to strait top down languages like basic. its all amatter of learning keywords and formating. Java, python, ruby are good at getting you to make useable programs in no time.. C/C++ will have you making lots of useless programs just to learn consepts.

but with that said, I have meet lots of java, python programers who can not create there own classes and objects and if its not built in can't make a program..

so your choice should come down to this..

do you a need for a language, or do you want a funtamental programing knowlage. the first you need ot look at pros and cons of the languages, the second I would look at scripting languages like python or c#

but first figure out a need.. a project and work twords that...

Since your young, im guessing you might still be in high school, if so, see what courses in programming in offer and start with what they have, and then join the class. I found its REALLY hard to start on your own because you lose motivation, or you try to do something too hard too fast and yu dont think you can do it. While in a classroom setting they give you small projects to get use to it.

My school taugh Java, i learned it, and have gotten better than the teacher, in fact i havnt done anything in the class in almost a year. :)

It's fun

Just remember

Motivation IS the hard part.