Solved: Can't Detect Internet With Laptop!

heres an easy one...I hope...

I have this laptop from work...I want to get onto the internet real quick here at home to install some software (yes I work more than 12 hours a day)...I only have comcast cable...I unplugged it from my desktop and plugged it into my laptop, but it won't detect the internet...how do I set it up???

Edited by Mainter

um maybe i can put this is a different way i use comcast cable internet connection i brought home my laptop so i plugged it into the laptop reset the computer but it will not connect to the internet what setting do i need to do to get it up and running?

um maybe i can put this is a different way i use comcast cable internet connection i brought home my laptop so i plugged it into the laptop reset the computer but it will not connect to the internet what setting do i need to do to get it up and running?

Usually with cable service when changing systems direcly connected to the modem you need to unplug modem wai t 30 seconds plug it back in wait another 30 seconds then connect other system. Most likely the laptop wont connect because the mac address of desktop is registered (for lack of a better word at this hour) with your ISP.

I had written a post, went back, and noticed the post said "solved", just curious, how did you solve it, Mainter?

Thanks

Liz

My bet is naraku9333's suggestion is what worked this is a common problem switching PCs with cable connection and easy to overlook.

Preston

I have this laptop from work...I want to get onto the internet real quick here at home to install some software (yes I work more than 12 hours a day)...I only have comcast cable...I unplugged it from my desktop and plugged it into my laptop, but it won't detect the internet...how do I set it up???

Did you get a Software cd when you 1st got Comcast? Usually you get a software cd that sets up the connection and everything for you from your ISP. If not, just connect the cable up to the PC i t is usually in and network the laptop and the other pc, and just share the internet connection (Conect to - right click your connection - properties - Networking (or advanced) - tick the box next to Share Connection over network (or something along those lines) :)

Did you get a Software cd when you 1st got Comcast? Usually you get a software cd that sets up the connection and everything for you from your ISP. If not, just connect the cable up to the PC i t is usually in and network the laptop and the other pc, and just share the internet connection (Conect to - right click your connection - properties - Networking (or advanced) - tick the box next to Share Connection over network (or something along those lines) :)

I never use Comcast's software it would not have work in this case. You must shut down the modem before you switch or it will not obtain an IP.