Recommendations For A Firewall?

The windows firewall is better than none, but it isn't the greatest. It only catches inbound activity. So, if say, you had a trojan or other malware on your pc that was sending packets out (for example, your pc was compromised and being used in a DDOS attack) the windows firewall wouldn't catch it. I reccomend the Kerio Personal Firewall. It is free (even though it doesn't look like it on the site) and very good.

Matt

The windows firewall is better than none, but it isn't the greatest. It only catches inbound activity. So, if say, you had a trojan or other malware on your pc that was sending packets out (for example, your pc was compromised and being used in a DDOS attack) the windows firewall wouldn't catch it.

The old xp firewall did not block outgoing, but the new one with sp2 does.

If the firewall in windows xp sp2 blocks any outgoing traffic, its limited.

Windows Firewall blocks unsolicited incoming traffic. However, you cannot configure Windows Firewall to block outgoing traffic.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...et/default.mspx

You can configure IPSec to add a layer of protection. Its still easier and safe to use a third party firewall (or a hardware router would be your best bet.)

I may have to try that Kerio. Zone Alarm is kind of annoying. Like Norton annoying only norton was actually easier to configure for me. But lord knows I ain't spendin money on that crap again. If I can get the same protection for free from other people why friggin pay for it. Thanks AVG Free Edition for saving my computer from 2 extremly malicious viruses attacking at the same time. Norton was the first thing to die. Zone alarm is replacing my software firewall for now, but if Kerio does better I'll use it. Ya know ever since I got a router though I haven't recieved anywhere near as many warnings. Maybe I'm goin a little psycho with protecting my pride and joy. The one in my bedroom I just have AVG and Windows Firewall and nothing goes on with it.

(This post is kinda pointless isn't it? I just feel like writing stuff I guess.)

Not a pointless post, Honda Boy! I learned from it!

Now, Goman (by the way, *hi!*, long time no see) IF you want to go "free with rebate route", Mcafee is listed on page 4 here. Lots of folks say Mcafee is a resource hog, but I haven't seen that....and I love the way it auto-updates-install and "foget-about-it" :thumbsup:

free after rebate (kudos to Barb)

Liz

I may have to try that Kerio. Zone Alarm is kind of annoying...................Zone alarm is replacing my software firewall for now' date=' but if Kerio does better I'll use it.

kerio has more control then ZA. The Free version of Kerio has more control then the paid for version of ZA has. to me that says a lot, Plus with Kerio you don't really increase the size of the install on the updates like you do with ZA.

Lots of folks say Mcafee is a resource hog' date=' but I haven't seen that[/quote']

resources are used in disk space as well as Memory usage. For example just to use the McAfee firewall you have 9 different services running in the background, including their AVscan engine. With Kerio you only have two services running. The firewall itself and the updater.

The more services you have running the more memory is being used. They also take diskspace to store those services on the hard drive so windows can access it.

IMHO, I'll take the free {as in Speech} over the non-free version of software anyday, especially when it can do the same thing and use less resources to do it.

Thank you, Dragon! Again, even though Mcafee hasn't slowed me down at all (we also don't do "labor intensive things") , I'm always reading that it's a "hog". YOUR post was the first I've ever read how and why it's a hog! I learn something every day from you folks!

Does Kerio automatically update? (I like that feature!)

Liz

Thank you, Dragon! Again, even though Mcafee hasn't slowed me down at all (we also don't do "labor intensive things") , I'm always reading that it's a "hog". YOUR post was the first I've ever read how and why it's a hog! I learn something every day from you folks!

Does Kerio automatically update? (I like that feature!)

Liz

Like Matt said, yes it will automatically update, and while the update is downloading you won't even know about it until it's ready to install.

Just remember Liz, being a resource hog won't necessarily "slow" you down, but can mean more such as using hard disk space that coudl be better utilized for other files, or memory which can cause programs to hang, including windows. Usually when a program crashes, where you get that error reporting feature that says "this program will close due to an error" or however they say it, is caused by lack of RAM.

How did I miss that, Matt? I was even blabbing in that thread...ohhhh, checked date, yup, right before Christmas, ok could'a missed it :D . Thank you for finding that and thanks again, Dragon!

Well, methinks it may be time for a change once this subscription is up :thumbsup:

And Goman, thanks for letting me butt into your thread *hugs*

Liz

Edited by blim
yes Norton and McAffee are both resource hogs. I usually had 550-650 MB of my 1024 free until I completely uninstalled norton. It boosted to 720 or so.

True they use more memory, but they are also more than just a firewall.

well I've just tried Kerio and it has all the same stuff my Norton Internet Security 2003 had and it uses less resources. Glad you said something about it Dragon cause Keio kicks the crap out of Zone Alarm. It doesn't bug the crap out of me when I try to open up internet accessing program's (games). I like to have never have gotten Day of Defeat: Source workin with zone alarm. Norton would just minmize games to tell me but when zone alarm did it it would go all screwy and would half way try to minimzie. The bubble in the corner of the screen would be there but not visable. I found it when the mosue changed when i moved it over that area. Man that took forever.

did you know that Symantec has aquired Sygate I was going to suggest Sygate since I have used it so long now I find out it is nolonger. I have not kept up with it. I here this happened in Oct. I cannot believe I missed this.

Yes, the end of Sygate is what brought me to Kerio. I had Sygate for about 2 months (after finally getting rid of McAfee) and then it was bought my Symantec. So, I switched to Kerio. Fortunately, after Kerio was bought by Sunbelt, they continued to support the free firewall.

The windows firewall is better than none, but it isn't the greatest. It only catches inbound activity. So, if say, you had a trojan or other malware on your pc that was sending packets out (for example, your pc was compromised and being used in a DDOS attack) the windows firewall wouldn't catch it. I reccomend the Kerio Personal Firewall. It is free (even though it doesn't look like it on the site) and very good.

Matt

I just do not like all the things it disables after thirty days if you do not buy it. Kind of leaves you with a false sense of its capabilities after you get used to them , and they silently dissappear. Most users would never notice them go missing and that is a ba

Snapfiles search lists several

http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-firewall.htm

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php

Edited by Pete_C

Matt

I just do not like all the things it disables after thirty days if you do not buy it. Kind of leaves you with a false sense of its capabilities after you get used to them , and they silently dissappear. Most users would never notice them go missing and that is a ba

Snapfiles search lists several

http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-firewall.htm

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php

This is true. But even after the 30 days, the free firewall is very good. Even though certain features creep away without notice, the firewall still functions very well. I actually didn't like its web filtering features, they would block most of the images on sites I visited. Outpost is another alternative that is getting more attention lately.