Currently have ME as os, and have quite a few programs not compatable with XP, but have XP upgrade disc. Can I use the advanced option on the disc to install XP as a second os and will it or does it have the ability to format the hd or do I have to go back and reformat ME and redo everything? Noob question I know, but thanks in advance for your help.

You can use the XP upgrade disk and install it on another partition or hard drive. When prompted you will need to insert the ME disk. I chose to install XP on a second hard drive independent of my 98SE hard drive. I removed my 98SE drive before installing XP on the other drive. Instead of having the boot.ini recognize 2 different OSes I use a boot floppy that was created from XP files with one of them being altered. With both drives hooked up I can leave the floppy out and the PC boots to 98SE. With the floppy in the drive it boots to XP. I figure once I get used to XP and it is running like I want then my 98SE drive will get formatted and use for additional storage.

Here is my thread regarding my "dual" boot setup.

Dual Boot Winxp And Win98se

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
I am curious what applications you have that won't work in XP. I am also curious if you have ever tried running them in XP's "compatibility mode" for WinME.

The Win XP compatibility mode is far from perfect, I have had a lot of programs that are designed for Win98/ME but Windows xp can't run even with compatibility mode set for 98. some of those programs rely heavily on the DOS programming which is no longer included as of Win2k.