This Is For Anyone Who Was Born After 1986

Brian, you are going to be a wonderful father someday if you keep that attitude! Kids NEED limits, they NEED to be told "no" (And I learned that in a Child Psychology Class long ago).

I remember once when Daughter and the Pastor's Daughter were playing in the Church while the Pastor was working in the office. They were roughhousing in the Sanctuary, the Pastor caught them, and gave them each a swat on the be-hind because they could have broken something or hurt themselves. Oh, how the "church ladies" squaked, "Spanking in the Sanctuary! Horrors!". Well, of course, I whole-heartedly supported his actions and thanked him! A swat on the butt never hurt anyone and he punished them at the "scene of the crime", which is plain old good parenting! Daughter still considers him a "Second Father" and loves him to pieces.

And Marty, I can't tell you how many times a child has crawled into our bed. My Son's line was, "I'm gonna sweep wif you". You're right, how can they feel safe and nurtured without feeling welcome in their parent's bed for a cuddle after a bad dream or when they're sick?

Durned old "Soccer Mom Mentality" and "Political Correctness" at work! Let's stop that! My mom gave me the best advice, "ignore the books, use your instincts!" So far, so good *knocks wood*

Liz

I can't tell you the number of times where one of my kids sat there and threatened to call child services on me for punishing them. I'm still a firm believer in the occasional swat on the rear if it's something serious enough to require it.

Last time one of my kids did that, I picked up the phone, dialed the number and said "Here ya go, shoot your mouth off" the cops showed up and told him straight up. "You have two choices, listen to your father, or he can bring you up on adult abuse charges." These kids now a days take the law for granted, until the law tells them that they are wrong. at least that's how it has happened in my case.

hi all i am a member of 5 boards

and no where can i find forums like this.

where we can post our personal

likes and dislikes

with out any flaming from the posters

as we discribe and think of our

life and our children.

i love this thread and i want to keep it

going on and on and on ---

in all the years ive posted to boards

this is the first time ive posted things

about my personal life.

with out some sort of worry where

it will lead to

some times you can feel when you can trust

people

and that is the way i feel right now

i would never post like this at g4

or world start.

or perhaps any other board.

and for the life of me

i cant tell you the reason

perhaps it is trust

marty

Yes, we kids have it so easy, i mean with the internet making it even EASIER for kidnappers and sex offends to find us, Now we only have to stupidly get on the net to be killed!, w00t im sure glad i live in this day and age, =P.

btw, that was funny as hell, =o and Atari 2600 rules.

Edited by Naming is hard

thats why parents need to be more pro-active about the time their kids spend on the net. I let my 5 year old play on the net, but he can only go to specifically chosen sites by either me or my wife. When he is on the computer I come in here and see what he is doing about every 10 to 15 minutes or so. If I see a site I don't feel he should be on, he either changes to an approved site or loses the computer for the rest of the night. And he will never have a computer in his own room connected to the net. Net access will only be allowed on this machine or my laptop.

i may be strict by some parents standards, but thats being a parent, watching out what your kids do, who they talk to, and where they go. Some people call that being over protective, I call it being a parent. When he gets older I will also install a keylogger, without his knowledge, on this computer to track where he goes and what he does.

hi all me again

ive just discovered some thing

we dont do now and we did then

on monday i went to pui on a pair of socks

and found some one had eaten a hole in the toe of one of them

on teusday i replaced those socks

by buying a new pair

this morning i thought about this and wondered

why i didnt get then darned

is it convience

or are socks cheap.

does any ladys on the board darn socks any more

or is it easier to go and by a new pair

is the art of darning lost because

socks are cheap to buy

marty

heh, ya know Marty, I never thought about that until you brought it up. for that matter, even though it seems to be the rage to buy Jeans already with holes in them currently, I remember having those iron on patches put on the holes in the knees of my jeans when I was a kid. Those were always the first place to wear through as we were growing up. Felt like you had plastic coating on the knees of your jeans when you were doing anything.

thats why parents need to be more pro-active about the time their kids spend on the net. I let my 5 year old play on the net, but he can only go to specifically chosen sites by either me or my wife. When he is on the computer I come in here and see what he is doing about every 10 to 15 minutes or so. If I see a site I don't feel he should be on, he either changes to an approved site or loses the computer for the rest of the night. And he will never have a computer in his own room connected to the net. Net access will only be allowed on this machine or my laptop.

Dragon:

I applaud you for doing what you are doing, and I will say this: You are protecting your children from something that COULD be dangerous, and let me say that it is time that parents realize the dangers associated with the Internet. The Internet is only as dangerous as you allow it to become. You, being proactive, will teach your children by example so that they learn good and appropriate surfing habits. :D

I may be strict by some parents standards, but thats being a parent, watching out what your kids do, who they talk to, and where they go. Some people call that being over protective, I call it being a parent. When he gets older I will also install a keylogger, without his knowledge, on this computer to track where he goes and what he does.

STRICT? Naaaaaaaah - You are just being a parent - I have friends that have strict parents, and it doesn't seem that you are strict. When it comes to the safety of, or well-being of your children or family YOU BET you want to be careful. With all the bad things that can happen when parents don't take an active role in what there kids do, there is good reason to be concerned - I have heard people say that computers should NOT be in children's bedrooms, but in family areas so that time on and off can be monitored and the computer can be used for family related projects. When I was in HS, there was no internet access ('87-'91), but mom knew I needed my machine for homework and stuff, so she allowed me to have the machine in my room - but I had rules too - Homework first, games later :matrix:

In fact - Got my First modem (14.4 external) in 1993 - after I graduated from My A.S. Program - and my mom says "You don't NEED a modem...." Her attitude changed when she saw what I could do with one, and what I could access - while at Champlain, I was the first remote student to test out the Rolm Phone Data Module - This device hooked into the serial port of your PC, and the module snapped into the bottom of the phone - Telecommunications then activated my "DATA" Light" then I logged into the network as "WKST" and 4 numbers (ie: WKST0426) I upgraded my 8086 machine halfay through my first year, so I had a 486, and then they gave me a NIC card and made me my first cable :)

Now we have newer technology, but my 486 had netscape 1.0 and then 2.0 and then 3.0, and I was able to show my mother things that made her want to go get herself a computer, and I remember mom telling me that she didn't even want me to tell her how to turn mine ON - then she came to me a few days later, and asked me to teach her what I knew - and WOW - mom loves it now :)

So Dragon - You have nothing to worry about - your kids will thank you for it later :)

Brian

hi all, in my country it is an offence to smack a child.

and you can be fined a certain amount if caught.

tho i didnt smack my children,

i disaplined them by taking away their priveledges.

i do agree with dragon that children have to be taught right from wrong.

but each one of us has different methods.

luckly for me my children are teen agers plus

now.

so the internet isnt a worry.

but i have a friend whos daughter surfs the net looking for,

as she calls it friends

and i worry that she may get into trouble one day

tho this problem isnt that prevelent in my country yet.

i know it will get worse .

so your posts make good reading

marty

Edited by martymas
hi all, in my country it is an offence to smack a child.

and you can be fined a certain amount if caught.

tho i didnt smack my children,

i disaplined them by taking away their priveledges.

i do agree with dragon that children have to be taught right from wrong.

but each one of us has different methods.

luckly for me my children are teen agers plus

now.

so the internet isnt a worry.

but i have a friend whos daughter surfs the net looking for,

as she calls it friends

and i worry that she may get into trouble one day

tho this problem isnt that prevelent in my country yet.

i know it will get worse .

so your posts make good reading

marty

hiya Marty,

I would much rather have the fine, here in Iowa where I live, if you smack your kid around as punishment, you can not only get fined but also get upt 5 years for child abuse. as well as having your kids taken away from you. of course this is also dependent on whether or not there is a mark for longer then 24 hours.

As far as I'm concerned this is another thing that will end up like domestic abuse charges, it will be over used and abused until someone gets sick enough to do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

well i was born in 60.

as for the child abuse thing, here is a simple thing to tell the judge, if they can do a better job then

here's the kids and have at it.

most judges will change their tune when you say that.

just like with the new HOS rules for trucking. they were not created by truckers or fr the good of the truckers, but for the people that whine and look at false reports and statistics. certain people tellingothers what they can do and when to do it is getting out of hand.

i remember when cable first came out, got 12 channels.

i remember the old pagers that had only up to a 30 mile range or less.

i rememer true muscle cars. not the little 4 bangers.

bet no one remembers drive in theaters.

just a few random thoughts from me

AHAAAAAAAA....got you this time cherokeechief. I think there are 2 drive in theatres left in the usa and both of them are in oklahoma. there is one 50 miles from us that is very popular. mcalester, oklahoma. can't remember where the other is (was)

Howdy bear, we have one drive-in here in northern Wyoming.My wife & i go every once in a while & she still likes to snuggle like we were teens again, mmmmmm ok on to the muscle cars, up the road a ways is Billings, Montana (74 miles) they have another type drive-in, yep the one with the hops wear roller skates & muscle cars galore attend every week end. Its kinda embaressing to pull up in my 2004 bonnevile along side a 57 chevy nomad or the 32 coupe........ ahhhhhhhhh the old days !!!!!!!!!!!!!

later friends !

They DO exist! Getty 4 Drive In, Muskegon, MI (well, they just removed the oldest screen which was falling apart, so I suppose it it technically the Getty 3 Drive In)

Soda Fountains? We have one in Montague (and you can still smoke in it!)

Cherokee, I love your answer to judges regarding naughty kids :D

I remember saying, "who in their right mind would pay for tv?" Well, now I'm saying that about satellite radio.

What about CB radios? (My Dad just loved those, I wonder if he still has his? He drove during the era of "light signals", and we all still flip our brights before passing a trucker--that's the only 'signal' I remember. Daughter's friends don't understand why she does that :D but the trucker always gives her a wave, which is good luck, right?)

Liz

yep, i know there are still a few drive in theaters left. and amazingly enough, back home here, our old drive in has been reopened. it had been closed for over 20 years. the person that owned the property had been using it like a farm junk yard, and repair shop, but when he got married, and after his honeymoon, and seing other drive ins still working, he asked his new wife what she thought about reopening it, and she told him it was a great idea.

so it reopened in the mid of last year, and the responce was great. guess i'll have to check it out this year.

ok guys...I stand corrected. I have checked with my reliable source and I was told that drive in theartes are making a comeback. people are actually starting to enjoy going to drive in movies again. the only thing that my source couldn't tell me was how many have reopened and how many new ones.

Born in 1990..and it's ok.

People think we got it easy, but we don't.

Serioulsy....

There are so much distractions that you have to be more careful then ever.

Hmm let's see: Skip a class and go somewhere or listen to the old teacher preach about shit that's useless to me.

Anyways, here's my opinion on parents being strict on their children.

It's all good when their young, but when they get older ( 13..14..15), you have to change your rules.

k good nite

Awwww, Bearskin, sit back down, hun. *hugs*

And you are so right, Martin...kids nowadays do have so many distractions! I admire the "young'uns" for being able to keep up. Us "oldsters" didn't have the mental demands that kids do now.

And once a child gets older, parents have to get more creative, that's for sure! My parents tried to ground me (as it worked wonders with my sisters) and I was thrilled with the punishment! Gave me a chance to read that book, finish that project, write that letter....soooooo, they put me on vacuum/laundry duty instead (laundry--think 5 teenaged GIRLS in the house and the laundry they create). Sadists. Ugh. To this day, those are two chores I HATE!

And of course, once the child reaches teenagerhood, all a parent can do is hope "something" sunk in from their early years and they stay out of trouble. That's when parents begin to sprout grey hairs. Coincidence? I think not! Each grey hair represents a night of prayer for their children (oh, man, did I begin sprouting the greys when Son started driving.....)

Liz

Edited by blim