i'm on xp home..i have set auto updates to download /ask to install..when i manually check windows updates..sp2 is listed and wants to install..but i want to prepare my machine according to the good advise discussed here and at g4..so far auto update has not downloaded sp2..i'm wondering if i need to configue my firewall software(ZAp 5.1..just recently upgradeed) to allow windows update access..or if i just need to wait my turn in the auto update line..??

thanx

wayne

You sound like you want to give SP2 a try, why wait.

Follow the instructions in G4's forums.

Empty all temporary files you're comfortable with.

Definitely clear Temporary Internet Files (IE).

I'd also clear Firefox's Cache, C:\Temp, C:\WUTemp, and C:\Windows\Temp as best you can.

Run Error Checking.

Run Defrag.

BACKUP (image style if available).

TEST THE BACKUP!

Turn off your anti-virus.

Turn off your firewall(s).

Turn off anything you don't need running.

Create a manual System Restore point.

Goto Windows Update manually and start the SP2 update, rather than let WU automatically dectect and install it.

When it completes (sucessfully) reboot.

Reboot again.

Reboot a third time just to be sure.

Turn your AV and firewall back on.

Reboot.

Test things out.

If it feels alright, defrag once again.

Then go on your merry way.

lol..not all that much in a hurry..but up until yesterday sp2 did not show up when i manually checked for updates..i also just updated zap and i'm new to software firewalls so i'm a bit confused as to it's setup..mucking thru it all..

i've printed the chief's and pete c's recomendations for "safe" sp2 install..so when i'm ready..

thanx for the reply

wayne :D

added:

ya i ordered the cd yesterday..but i do have dsl..and when i checked manually it showed about 75mb..my strategy is to let auto update download..and pick my own time to install..

Hi wayne,

You said you had zap version5.1. Did not know they updated version 5.0. Are you having any problems with the updated zap.I had version 5.0 but it would not let me do an error check so I rolled back to version 4.5. please let me know if you are having problems with 5.1

Thanks,

Pat

Hi wayne,

You said you had zap version5.1. Did not know they updated version 5.0. Are you having any problems with the updated zap.I had version 5.0 but it would not let me do an error check so I rolled back to version 4.5. please let me know if you are having problems with 5.1

Thanks,

Pat

yes.. 5.0 was a disaster..and i was silly enough to buy pro ver.5.0.043 before i checked the forums..i ended up uninstalling it and "reverting" back to 4.5..like most folks..i watched the ZA forums closely for the last few weeks..and because of the impending sp2 issues with 4.5..i took a shot at the 5.1..so far it's working for my set-up..

fyi..i did the update from 4.5..downloaded the 5.1..choose "clean install" and had no issues/problems with the install..i did turn off my McAfee and any other scanners..

hope this helps..

wayne :)

I'm on dailup !! (yes i'm sorry for me too :( )

I"ver ordered 2 free SP2 CD's ,,just in case they stuff up my order .

And with all the "I have SP2 install probs" I will wait the 4 to 6 weeks ,,by then hopefully the hotfix patches for SP2 will be out as well :D:blink:

Hi wayne,

I I nstalled 5.1 and it seems to be ok so far. I did an error check with 5.1 which I could not do with 5.0. Dowmloaded sp2 on the other computer. The only problem I seem to be having is that windows can't see the status of ZAP or NAV. No big deal I know they are both running

Thanks again B)

Pat

Hi wayne,

I I nstalled 5.1 and it seems to be ok so far. I did an error check with 5.1 which I could not do with 5.0. Dowmloaded sp2 on the other computer. The only problem I seem to be having is that windows can't see the status of ZAP or NAV. No big deal I know they are both running

Thanks again B)

Pat

good to hear that pat..5.1 should be recognized and managed by sp2 from what i've read..so maybe you need to treak sp2 a bit..i'm not touching sp2 yet..but i remember reading something about the issue..you might try the ZA forums..

i don't use NAV but there seems to be an issue with it and sp2..have you checked nav's site for sp2 patches..??

glad it's working out for you..

wayne ;)