I am changing the motherboard on a dell dimension 2400. I pulled the heatsink off, with it came the processor. It seems like it is glued onto the heatsink. None of the pins seem to be bent. Have any of you guys seem this before? Do you think it is safe to pry it off with a razor blade?

I managed to get the processor of the heatsink. I am just amzed it ripped it out of the socket while the socket was in the locked position. I am even more amazed none of the prongs got bent.

release the HS/Fan spring lever and twist the HS/Fan to break the thermal pad/grease bond and remove em while the CPU is still in the lock position. when you reseat the CPU use 2 fingers and put some slight downward pressure on the CPU then lock the lever.

Old thermal paste can harden over time. I usually let the PC warm up then do as gargriff stated. Being warm makes it more pliable. Some people say you only need to reapply thermal paste every 1-2 years. I reapply mine twice a year. Sometimes instead of thermal paste. thermal adhesive is used. You definitely want the PC to be warm before trying to twist off the heatsink if adhesive is used.

I will make it a habit of making sure everything is good and warm before removing them in the future.

I've had it happen alot with old AMD K6's and even with Socket A Processors, the paste just builds up as someone stated