Spring Has Sprung

Spring is here early. Upper 50s with showers. I removed all the plastic from and cleaned my windows on the inside. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the mids 60s with intermittent sun. I'll be able to do the screens and the outside of the windows. I turned the furnace off. Screw the National Greed power company. The high winds earlier this winter broke some branches off my pear tree and knocked another tree over in my backyard. Time to get the chainsaw out and clear the yard of debris.

Time to blow the dust out of your computers people. :thumbsup:

Although our weather sounds similar, no one's fooled 'round these parts. It's sure to get back below freezing a couple of times and snow's almost a certainty at least a couple more times. Plastic's remaining for a while, furnace stays on.

Actually, 'round here you have to leave the furnace on 'til late spring, nearly summer. It's not unheard of to have the air conditioner running one day and have to fire up the furnace the next.

yeah, hi 4-'s and into the 50's here, too.

We know it's not over yet, though.

Basketball tournament time and that ALWAYS means

a good snowstorm or two.

Snowing good here. Still won't expect spring for at least 2 more months. :(

Then I'll start getting excited.

But until then it's still mid winter in my neck of the woods.

Spring is here early. Upper 50s with showers. I removed all the plastic from and cleaned my windows on the inside. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the mids 60s with intermittent sun. I'll be able to do the screens and the outside of the windows. I turned the furnace off. Screw the National Greed power company. The high winds earlier this winter broke some branches off my pear tree and knocked another tree over in my backyard. Time to get the chainsaw out and clear the yard of debris.

Time to blow the dust out of your computers people. :thumbsup:

It has been in the eighties all week here in Texas. Had springtime big thunderstorms the night before last. Lows have been record high lows (Mid to upper sixties). The elms, ashes, and mulberries are all leafing out . Daffodills have pretty much past.

We had a warm January and then a hard frost so most of the blossoming trees (Arizona Ash, plum, apple and pear, redbud ) lost at least half their blooms. The tulip trees and dogwoods were in full bloom when the frost hit and lost everything.

The arboretum is in full bloom and having a festival this weekend.

Yep spring is here.

Aww, you Texans have me so jealous (Redbud? *sigh* I'll be lucky if my limping redbud survived the winter...took 3 years of babying before my Kentucky transplant bloomed and after this winter, who knows...sure is purty, though!)

We're in the 40's in NW Michigan and the snow is almost gone from my yard, thanks to a day of rain. Other than that, the tundra is still frozen, but getting muddy. I DO actually hear birds! And it is nice not to have it get dark at 5pm.

But after last year when Spring didn't arrive till June, I'm gunshy....besides I've been too busy to hibernate! Still have that book from last summer I haven't read yet.

The weatherman is talking about upper 50's for this weekend, crossing fingers!

Liz

It was 80 degrees here in Virginia. Did a little Spring cleaning also. Too early to do windows.

I'm in a redecorating mode right now. Had the same living room furniture for about 30 or 35 years.

So went out and bought new this past week. Won't get it delivered until next month. Living in the country,

you have to almost order everything. Nothing ever is in stock. Can't wait until it gets here.

Good idea associating cleaning computer with Spring cleaning. That way you remember to do it. I had just

replaced the power supply a couple of months ago, cleaned it real good then, so will wait awhile. :whistling:

Tomorrow suppose to be the same weather. Too early to trust it. Warm a couple of days, than gets cold

again. Oh well it won't be long, before we complain it's too dang hot. :lol:

Whoo, hoo, Barb! Brand spanking new furniture? Lucky you! And 80 degrees? Wow! Really, really lucky you!

This weekend is the "weekend" for me to take Dancers down to Berea, KY for the annual Berea College Dance Festival. This year we aren't going, due to Son's work schedule. And knowing we could be in near 80 degree temps? *sniffle, sob*

*ahem* I've never blown out my computers of dustbunnies...I know, I know...but I'm a chicken! (that thing about having to disconnect it and take it outside to blow it out....) :D Figured I'd wait till they started acting weird.

Liz

The geese are flying back in and landing on the lake a couple blocks away. My buddies were in their blinds waiting for these pests and opened fire early this morning. That noise is another sign that spring is arriving. They say next Thursday we may see temps dip into the 20s with a chance of snowshowers but warming after. Anything above zero is spring here. Our snow is gone. The sump pump is running constantly. I rearranged my computer area to make room for a second system. Time to move my test machine from the work bench. Looks like I am migrating to XP on this PC soon.

Well back to reality, only going to middle 60's, which is still above normal. It sure was nice yesterday. Had all the windows open.

Liz, I clean my computer on the kitchen table. When done just vacuum the dust bunnies in computer and on floor. Not carrying it outside where more dirt can blow in it. :P Besides, my luck a bird would fly over and make a deposit, yuck. :(

Hello folks,

Sunny here today about 40 degrees with lows to be 29 or so the next few nights. We have had low snow levels lately, even had a few inches of wet snow in hills around the metro area the other day, plus the North Oregon coast beaches even got a dusting yesterday which is rare. The Cascades got pounded with whiteout blizzard conditions, 75 mph gusts with 30 or more inches of powder snow, and even a thunderstorm to make it more interesting up there. No snow at our place, just a wet snow mix for a few hours the other day that melted before it hit the ground. Some lightening and thunder too the last few days and nights, and more predicted.

That antsy spring chore thing is hitting my hubby today. He was pruning part of a hedge, and I also heard the lawnmower awhile ago (he says he was just getting it ready for spring). I hope he doesn't overdo after being so sick with the cold bugs that hit us so hard. I am still miserable with it, but he is quite a bit better and not coughing much. No spring cleaning for me yet...I am lucky to be up even today after spending most of last two days in bed.

As for new furniture, I wish!!! No it will have to be a new dryer for us soon. Ours finally died completely last weekend. We fixed it last fall, but knew it might not last much longer. So old it isn't worth pouring more money into it for parts. We are using the dryer at the rental house in the meantime. Glad it is nearby and that hubby got it back to working ok again to pinch hit for ours.

So when I get to feeling better it is off to look for one, (ugh even the thought of dealing with shopping and salesmen makes me tired). I do want one the new dryer to have a moisture sensor for sure, same as this one had...sure saves a lot of trips up and down the stairs to check on clothes...and saves energy too.

Should I stick with Maytag, or ???

Pat

God bless everyone.

Hi Pat:

Glad to hear you and hubby are feeling a little better. Take it easy.

If that Maytag has lasted this long, might as well get another one, since it has given you such good service. I got a Whirlpool 15yrs old and still kicking. (crosses fingers)........also knocks on wood for added protection. :lol:

If anyone saw my old living room furniture, you would say about time. It is worn out. I have been looking for this furniture for a couple of years, never could find what I wanted. :unsure:

Take care :D

Should I stick with Maytag, or ???

I would NOT get Maytag.

About a year ago I was talkin with my local washer/dryer repairman. He informed me that Maytag had switched to some manufacture down in Mexico. He says he no longer recommends Maytag because their quality has gone down the drain since the switch.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Maytag Moves to Mexico

How Americans Can Buy American

Washers & Dryers Amana American

Washers & Dryers Amana Perfect Balance American

Washers & Dryers Caloric American

Washers & Dryers Electrolux Sweden

Washers & Dryers Frigidaire Sweden

Washers & Dryers General Electric American

Washers & Dryers Gibson Sweden

Washers & Dryers Hotpoint American

Washers & Dryers Kelvinator Sweden

Washers & Dryers KitchenAid American

Washers & Dryers Maytag American

Washers & Dryers Pencrest American

Washers & Dryers Speed Queen American

Washers & Dryers Westinghouse Sweden

Washers & Dryers Whirlpool American

Washers & Dryers White-Westinghouse Sweden

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Thanks everyone for your helpful info on dryers.

Yes now that I am feeling/thinking a bit better today, I do remember that Maytag had moved out of this country. Also remembered today seeing lots of trouble with their Neptune product line on the Handyman forums this fall when I was searching for how to possibly fix (a temporary one as it turned out to be) our old dryer (not a Neptune!). Also I remember something about Maytag buying Amana a few years ago, and something in last year or so about Whirlpool buying them out. Sort of like the old joke of who's on first...to keep track of these companies/brands.

I have 2 Amana freezers, 2 Amana washers (one is at the rental and the newer one is ours but it has such a stupid design that if not protected with special gizmo, placed carefully underneath tub being sure not to tip it while securing the tub, it will damage the whole unit when moved as the delivery people found out when we bought it. So I figure that is last of that brand due to such a stupid design selling in a nation of people who move alot. So Amana is out, Maytag is out, Frigidare is out (parts higher costing than other brands). So what does that leave...GE (I ddidn't even realize they were still making appliances) and Whirlpool but will they just be rebranding Maytag/Amanas to cover the problems? I guess Sears Kenmore is still really Whirlpool? My side by side refrig is a Kenmore and it works great. So more research to do...as always on major appliances. I sure do appreciate your links, (thanks TT for the Buy American one I had forgotten that site) and advice folks.

A cloudy but dry day here today, hubby did some outside work and seemed happy to be out and about. He is always happiest when he can putter around fixing stuff and working outside.

Pat

God Bless everyone.

I had sent an email to the Buy American site because Maytag was still listed American made. It seems much of Maytag is still made here.

No. Maytag did not outsource “most” of their manufacturing. Where did you get that inaccurate data from? In fact, they employ more workers in the US than any other major appliance maker. So if I took Maytag off the list, I’d have to take them all off the list. And if I restricted the list to companies that only make 100% of their goods in the USA, the list could fit on one sheet of paper. I doubt that my friends in Iowa who build Maytag washers and dryers would be happy that I took them off the list simply because their company moved a refrigerator factory to Mexico. Those workers in Iowa and other states deserve to let sites like mine tell people what companies do make things in the USA, even if it isn’t 100%

Roger Simmermaker, Author

How Americans Can Buy American

www.howtobuyamerican.com <http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/>

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:24 PM

To: buyamerican at howtobuyamerican dot com

Subject: Maytag listing.

Seeing as Maytag decided to outsource most of their manufacturing don't you think they should be taken off the American made list?

Maytag news update

Here's an interesting list.

Exporting America

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

My goodness I sure didn't mean to hijack this thread like this.

Yes wouldn't it be nice to be able to hang the laundry out to dry? Not an option for us, enough things disappear forever out of yards in this town without chancing losing our clothes and bedding/towels etc to the thieves, plus we are on a corner with two paved streets, and one dirt alley so lots of dirt and air pollution that I wouldn't want on my clothes.

As for the site that TT emailed, interesting answer...to bad he doesn't put a disclaimer on his site that only some of the stuff (or parts there of) from the various brands listed is actually made here!!!.

I found an old article from U.S. News while doing a Google search that was kind of interesting.

Made In America 5/17/04 US News article

This next link is a Dec 22, 05 article from The Des Moines Register, read the related articles on left side of article too.

Impact of Merger (Whirlpool and Maytag) Would Be Widespread

So far that is all I have found out. Supper ready so bye for now.

Pat

God bless everyone.

about Kenmore and whirlpool. This is my dad's philosophy. Whirlpool is good and so are others but if you put the Kenmore name on it, it turns to crap. (with the exception of our oven, friggin ancient, was in the house when we moved here 12 years ago, probably 20 years older than that, still works), our Kenmore fridge is a pain in the butt. We had an OLD westinghouse fridge that lasted forever. finally died late last year. bout 28 years old or more. Grandmother has a 70 year old (maybe older maybe less) GM, yes GM not GE, and all it needs now is freon or something and it'll be fine again. been workin forever. Green too.

Edited by Honda_Boy