How Did You Get Your Name?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is actually a Drow name (dark evil elves) that I came across when looking for a name for my Drow character which I created for Darkon (a medieval war-gaming club much like SCA). It's the only Drow name that I really felt fit me and my character. After a few months, I just kinda fell in love with the name and have been using it almost everywhere I go online.

It's also taken me a while to find an avatar and sig image that I felt matched just as perfect.

Darkon's website for any who are interested - Darkon.org

I got my name back in the day when I was in radio broadcasting school 1992. All my friends call me Shadow, so the name has stuck with me. It's my board name, Radio & TV. Yup I even volunteer a little time to a local TV. station in my area and my screen name of course is............... ;)

WiredMonkey came about for a few reasons...

1. I'm a fan of caffeine...take in a good amount...therefore - wired.

2. I'm a tech nut...all things tech-geeky...therefore - wires.

3. I'm a monkey. No, not really...but hey, maybe we all are. Actually, the monkey thing goes waaaaaaaaaaay too far back on a sleepless night with some friends after staying up playing on the computer until all hours of the night and ingesting copious amounts of caffeine. Altered reality, my friends. hehehe... Things that aren't really all that funny will seem extremely humorous...and then STICK.

So, I've used the online handle of WiredMonkey for about a year now...it's what I use on almost everything - my blog, my moblog, my email, you name it. Only exception is at G4TTV.com, where it is taken...I don't know who else has it, but someone does. I thought maybe I registered it and forgot...but no. So there I use the nickname webben, which is a REAL noodle-cooker as to how I came up with that: Web (duh). Ben (me). So, webben. Which, BTW, Nerelda, may have been how you called me Webmonkey the other day...lol. Mix and match! ;)

Anyway...hope that wasn't too boring for folks.

I cant figure out what that is...

Well, cowsgonemadd3, I'd say it's a handplane.

:P

Just a guess and all....but I'm pretty sure I'm dead on with that one. I'm not showing it in the dictionary at all (which is weird, BTW), but I'm assuming it's a hand tool that planes wood - much like the icon shows. So how come it's not in the dictionary handplane? You hiding out...on the run...trying to stay on the DL? ;) heehee...

Hand plane

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hand planes are hand woodworking tools used to smooth surfaces of wood.

Hand planes are generally the combination of a cutting edge, such as a sharpened metal plate, attached to a firm body, that when moved over a wood surface, take up relatively uniform shavings, by nature of the body riding on the 'high spots' in the wood, and also by providing a relatively constant angle to the cutting edge, render the planed surface very smooth.

Planes are ancient, going back hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Early planes were probably made with wooden bodies, a hole cut in the center of the body, and the cutting blade fixed in place with a wooden wedge, pounded in with a mallet. This type of plane had been found in excavations of old sites as well as drawings of woodworking from medieval Europe and Asia. In fact wooden planes can still be bought from modern planemakers. As time went on, though, some people began to make plane bodies out of cast iron or even bronze. Wood is still popular among some though for various reasons of personal taste, and in any event, the wood can be smoothed however which way one chooses to go.

Several types of planes exist, such as the

Finger plane:

Used for smoothing very small pieces such as toy parts, very thin strips of wood, etc.

The block plane:

Can be held with one hand and is used for general purpose stuff such as taking down a knot in the wood, smoothing up small pieces, making the end of a sawed board square and smooth, etc.

The bullnose plane:

Has no 'front' on its body, and so can be used in tight spaces like the backs of drawers or on large joint-knobs and whatnot.

The jack plane:

Is small enough to be wielded comfortably, but large enough to leave a pretty even surface on a board. Often has a 'rounded' cutting edge for various finessing of the cutting by the user.

The joiner (or jointer) plane:

Very large plane used to prepare large boards for fitting together very tightly, such as in long slats used in a tabletop.

Rabbet plane:

Used to cut 'rabbets' (a sort of stairstep) in the ends of boards, which can then be joined together.

Router plane:

Before modern 'power routers', this was the 'router', and consisted of a body with a small cutting edge extending far down from it... Thus enabling it to cut long grooves into planks of wood, as might be used for attaching shelving or whatnot.

And many many others.

One of the most important manufacturers of planes was the Stanley Rule and Level Co., New Britain, Connecticut. Starting in 1870, Stanley sold millions of cast iron hand planes, many based on patents purchased from Leonard Bailey, of Boston, Massachusetts. Stanley purchased other patents and plane manufacturing companies, and continued to improve the design of its planes through the first half of the 20th century.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_plane"

My name hmm...I really don't know. I know I came up with it several years ago and that it was most likely come up with a stupid reason. I was in third or fourth grade and, in my opinion, was an idiot. I use it everywhere. If you see a "Snaxe", it most likely is me. The only places I haven't gotten "Snaxe" at are at shizmoo, AIM, Yahoo, and MSN/Hotmail.

I recently made my avatar myself with The GIMP. My sig is plugging.

I cant figure out what that is...

Heycowsgonemadd3,

I think tg1911 covered the subject for me.

Thanks tg1911.

When I'm not on the computer, I do woodworking.

Thus handplane, one of the many tools I use.

Hey suwannee24,

Those are two of my favorite things to also, fish and pull for Jeff Gordon.

rgarg113 for me and my wifes initials, Rich G. and Ruth G., with home addy of 113.

Picked it back in 94, when AOL was refusing anything it did not like, kept throwing names and inititals out, just hit on this, and have stuck with it since. Lost AOHell after a year, and do not miss them. With Verizon DSL now, and love it.

Also loving this board. Thanks B., and thanks for those who have migrated here from G4techtv also.

Rich

JD my initials robroy because I have McGregor bloodin my ancestry (paternal grandmother). When I first started online someone else was using robroy on aohell so I stuck my initials in front

JD

Also I used to look a little like the pic in my sig 30 years ago

this just came about in the last 2 years Our family was looking around in an old indian graveyard. we spotted something that looked like the remains of a dead bear. just a lot of skin and fur lying around. we argued over whether it was bearskin or buffalo skin. I said it was bearskin. I didn't like the sound of buffalo skin...LOL :lol: