Mods I'll Never Do.

I have done this before, and it has worked out well so I will do it here.

This thread is for mods you probably won't ever do, for whatever reason.

Mod #1 I probably won't ever attempt:

A clear acrylic case PC. Why? Because It would last about half a day, and I would scratch it, drop solder on it, or crack it. Then that little blemish would drive me crazy. :(

BH

I would never mod or mess with my cell phone (sony k750i) in any way - it cost me $400 and its my baby

But that's never stopped me from messing with my cell phone accessories!

BTW, clear case PC's really aren't that bad. I've worked with one at work before and you just have to be very careful

Definite negative on the bear - retracting to my first post, last night I put an LED on my cell phone charger so that I could find it at night. But the dang thing is too bright, it woke me up! I'd put in a stronger resistor if I had free time.

I would never mod a HP - they suck too much :P

why not use passive liquid cooling like the case being completely filled with vegetable oil or motor oil. Yes you can do that, I have a video of it.

I'll never do that due to the time, money, effort, skill, and patience involved.

why not use passive liquid cooling like the case being completely filled with vegetable oil or motor oil. Yes you can do that, I have a video of it.

I'll never do that due to the time, money, effort, skill, and patience involved.

I actually have a net-friend that is doing that with power supplies. I have considered doing an immersion mod like this. The problem is, I can't justify the work. The main issue is that my PC is fast enough to do what I want to do, and when it isn't we are looking at an $250 upgraded MB and chip. Since I don't stress the machine, I really have no reason to cool it with more than a $12 cooler.

The one problem with oil cooling is there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution for the oil. Mineral oil swells the caps and messes up the MB, and most of the cooking oils people use aren't clear. I found a neat green Electronic Discharge Machining (EDM) fluid that looked like the perfect coolant once, but now I can't find a source. There is a flourine compound (IIRC) that will work, but it is $250 a gallon.

So I guess this qualifies as a mod I will never do...:)

BH

THG Germany did it, but they suggest using motor oil cause it cools better. They used vegetable oil though cause it's clearer, and maybe cheaper. I'm not if it is cheaper. still it is HARD to do. Caulk and plexiglass, (you don't have to use plexiglass but still), you have to change the oil every so often. Talkin to your friends " Hey I gotta run, Need to change the oil in my computer." :lol:

THG Germany did it, but they suggest using motor oil cause it cools better. They used vegetable oil though cause it's clearer, and maybe cheaper. I'm not if it is cheaper. still it is HARD to do. Caulk and plexiglass, (you don't have to use plexiglass but still), you have to change the oil every so often. Talkin to your friends " Hey I gotta run, Need to change the oil in my computer." :lol:

:)

Do you have a link for that project? The way I see it, you could just buy a ready made box of some kind and slide it in. If it is sitting in motor oil, you aren't going to be able to see it anyway. I may have to move this to my to-do list. This might be a good way to 'environmentalize' a pc for outdoor use.

BH