Question About 32 Bit Verses 64 Bit

I never really got into this subject....But

I am slowly getting the parts together to go 64 BIt with a 64 bit 2x dual core processor. AMD system.

Might be some dumb questions.

I know a 32 bit OP system will run fine and dandy on a 64 bit setup. But if I run a 64 bit OP system. Will I have problems installing any programs..ie, spyware programs (adaware, spybot etc.) Or other programs that really don't define 64 bit. Or will I have to find programs made for 64 bit???

Any comments on this subject will be appreciated.

Thanks

JSKY

There are many programs that are not compatible with 64-bit yet plus there are some hardware/drivers issues. I would say it's not ready for prime time.

Security in a 64-Bit World

Even if your computer has a 64-bit CPU, a dearth of compatible security products means now isn't an ideal time to switch to Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (XP64). The new XP64 operating system is virtually indistinguishable from 32-bit Windows XP Service Pack 2 (see our review at http://go.pcmag.com/xp64 ). It incorporates all the security enhancements introduced with SP2, including the Security Center and a 64-bit compatible version of the Windows Firewall. Its core code comes from the highly reliable Windows Server 2003. And the vast majority of existing 32-bit applications will work just as well or better in the 64-bit environment.

Unfortunately, all the major antivirus and personal firewall utilities are included in that small group of programs that can't function under XP64. Some vendors offer 64-bit compatibility in their enterprise-level security products, such as Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0 and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i. But as we go to press, none of their desktop security suites can handle XP64.

In truth, there is no real reason for the average user to install XP64, even on a system with a 64-bit processor. There are virtually no 64-bit applications available. A very few 32-bit programs (such as the latest Adobe Photoshop) have been written to take advantage of the larger memory space available to them when running in a 64-bit environment—the 2GB per-process limit rises to 4GB. And 32-bit programs may run somewhat faster. But that's about it.

On the bright side, some malicious software will also fail on a 64-bit system. The rootkits used by hackers to attack other computers ( http://go.pcmag.com/rootkits ) specifically take over 32-bit systems. Viruses that use buffer-overrun attack techniques will crash the target program rather than control it. But social-engineering attacks, phishing, many viruses, and most adware and spyware won't be fazed. The infamous Bagle and Sober viruses function on 64-bit systems, for example. And it's only a matter of time before other malicious programs are rewritten for 64-bit compatibility. A 64-bit virus called W64.Rugrat existed as early as May 2004, though it specifically targets Itanium systems, which XP64 doesn't support.

We asked desktop security-suite vendors about 64-bit compatibility; most had no specific plans for it. Symantec and McAfee both say they'll watch the market and supply a 64-bit solution in time to meet their customers' needs. Let's hope they're right. F-Secure intends to release a 64-bit compatible security suite in 2006, and BitDefender will in the second half of 2005. ZoneLabs plans to beta-test a 64-bit-compatible version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite this summer, with final release around September.

Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta ran under XP64 with apparent success, and most antispyware programs seem to be compatible with 64-bit systems. FBM Software claims full compatibility for its ZeroSpyware product, as does Tenebril Software for its SpyCatcher. Sunbelt Software is still testing CounterSpy under XP64 and hasn't found any problems yet. The same is true of Spyware X-Terminator from StompSoft and Spyware Doctor from PC Tools. Chances are good that your preferred antispyware program won't complain about a switch to 64-bit Windows.

A handful of antivirus and firewall products are already compatible with XP64. All versions of the avast! antivirus from Alwil Software are compatible with XP64, including the free Home Edition. Avast! received the VB 100% award from Virus Bulletin and certification from ICSA for virus detection (but not removal); it should provide decent protection. Tiny Software's Tiny Firewall 64 is now available as a public beta. It successfully stealthed our test system's ports and blocked almost all of our standard leak-test programs. When we attacked the firewall directly, we couldn't terminate its protection, though we managed to kill all of its visible processes. Tiny Firewall's confirmation pop-ups are more obtrusive than many, but it appears to offer reliable firewall protection.

If down the road a 64-bit killer app forces you to upgrade your OS, be very careful. Like every PC on the Internet, yours will still be under constant attack. If your current security suite isn't 64-bit ready, make sure to find compatible substitutes for these essential security tools.

Also read; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition vs. WinXP SP2

Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Just on a side note, I also know that flash is not yet available for 64bit systems. and last I knew Macromedia had no intention of jumping on the 64 bit bandwagon for at least another 2 to 5 years for any of their programs. Although some 32 bit apps will work. they don't currently have any plans of making 64bit only versions.

This, last I knew, was also the thoughts of other companies such as Adobe, Corel, and I also know there are other software manufacturers that aren't planning on jumping on to the 64 bit tech bandwagon. a lot of them will be waiting for a higher demand before they release their software for that technology.

OK....

A new question..

Am I defeating my purpose on building a 64 bit system but running a 32 bit platform. (XP or possible Vista in the Future)

Will 32 bit platforms perform good or better, if I continue with the 64 bit board and processor?

From what I have gathered so far it won't hurt and can be a power increase overall. Or am I wrong with this assumption.

JSKY

hi JS i have 64 bit on my sys

not because i changed my specs

i was ignorant of those facts

but i installed on a sys that had xppro 32bit

and it hasent made any difference ive used it for five months

and it is identical to xp 32bit

if there is a difference can some one tel me

what it is

i beleive the linux is a 64bit sys is this true or not

i did find the 64bit was very stable

other then that i cant fine any difference

marty

Thanks for the feedback everyone. At least now I do have a better understanding.

I'll complete the new system as planed. But stay with a 32 bit OS. Just in case things change in the future. I have the money now to do it. But not sure i might if it's a "have to" in a few years. Plus I already ordered the processor. Other then a PCI graphic card. I'm almost set to rebuild.