Building A Computer Case

Hello all. I'm wanting to take my secondary computer and turn it into a small media computer. But the thing is, it's not that small well the case. So I'm wanting to build a custom case for so that it will fit in my tv cabinet. But here's my question, is there anything that I need to particularly do to make sure I don't mess up the computer.

Hello all. I'm wanting to take my secondary computer and turn it into a small media computer. But the thing is, it's not that small well the case. So I'm wanting to build a custom case for so that it will fit in my tv cabinet. But here's my question, is there anything that I need to particularly do to make sure I don't mess up the computer.

Be sure to use standoffs for your motherboard

Well here's what I what I plan on doing with this computer. I'm wanting to use my TV as the monitor and all I would be using this computer for is web surfing and AIM. I can't use my main computer cause I game on it and my TV is to far from my computer. (I've looked at Wireless PC-to-TV boxes, but they cost a good chunk of change). Sorry to miss read you all. But what I'm thinking is to just get a thin, thin sheet of metal and just bend it into a low profile rectangle and then using balse wood to cover it. Would this sort of work or not?

Edited by MtnPictures
Well here's what I what I plan on doing with this computer. I'm wanting to use my TV as the monitor and all I would be using this computer for is web surfing and AIM. I can't use my main computer cause I game on it and my TV is to far from my computer. (I've looked at Wireless PC-to-TV boxes, but they cost a good chunk of change). Sorry to miss read you all. But what I'm thinking is to just get a thin, thin sheet of metal and just bend it into a low profile rectangle and then using balse wood to cover it. Would this sort of work or not?

Yes, it would work. I wouldn't cover it with balsa, it isn't that durable. If you aren't extremely interested in looks, you could just mount it in any container. If you go the metal bending route you will eat up a lot of your free time. You can find a ton of plastic containers at the mega stores for very little cash. Heres one that might work from staples:

s0063288_std.jpg

If you are worried about static or RFI, you can coat the inside with aluminum duct seaming tape and ground it with a screw.

As for using your TV as a monitor, it doesn't work well unless you have hi-def and a hdmi cable input. I tried it for a while before we got our new set, and it gave me a headache.

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday