Whenever, I try to launch a program, windows brings up it's "Open with....." screen. I select the program, but it does the same thing. I tried to press the button which makes it open w/ the same program all the time, but it just does the same thing.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Danny

ive been doing some searching.

but i cant find any probable solution to your problem,

especially that it happens to all your programs.

i assume you did virus scans as well...?

i'll keep searching and post anything that i can come up with.

right now,lets hope the regulars got a better idea :D

You can also try a automatic repair of your OP SYS. If your running XP, Boot off your CD. When you come to the first part that asks if you want to install or do a repair. Check to do an install of XP. You will see files being loaded. Then you will come to a second part that also asks if you want to install XP or do a repair. At this point check to do the repair. It will do a full scan, checking for missing or corrupt files, and will repair them.

BUT REMEMBER!!! With any repair of XP, you will need your CD Key and will have to go to Windows Update Site and replace any security updates that were changed back to it's original state after the repair.

Edited by JSKY

I should have told you earlyer, but I am running 98se, and lost my avg free serial number....so I cant do a virus scan. and I dont have the install disk. It came from my moms old work, so they still have it and we couldnt get it back. For windows update I cant update it unless I borrow my friends broadband....and I did do the sfc and it came out good. so I dont know what the problem is....

After talking with dknoppix in IRC about this problem, I showed him a way to fix this.

For all of you now, here was the fix.

In his File Associations, the .exe extension was associated with HijackThis and the registry key default value had been changed to ****.

This can be from a Virus or certain Trojan programs that use a line in the win.ini file that calls for a random.exe, thus the change to HJT as the program to open exe's but we haven't confirmed that as of yet.

So what we did was to go into the registry, navigate to this key - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command - right click the Default in the right pane and select Modify. Then I had him change the value to this - "%1" %* - with qoutes. This restored the default for exe to Application and his programs now work.

Dave