Whiskey Bottle Pc Parody

I was interested in the Whiskey Bottle PC on metkumods, had a little free time, and felt like playing with my new dremel so ... I decided to make a light up Jack Daniels Bottle. It was very simple, and it resembles something you'd see in a bar/nightclub setting.

For those not familiar with Jack Daniels (this is a front shot of the completed project - notice the wire running up the bottle):

DSC00232.jpg

My Power Source AC converted to 9 volt current - found this adaptor in my closet:

DSC00240.jpg

First I dremeled away at the surface of the bottle in an attempt to drill through the thick glass. After a while I realized I would have to just break off a large chunk, sand down a hole, and reattach the chunk of glass:

DSC00241.jpg

Here is the bottom of the bottle with the wires hot-glued in place:

DSC00233.jpg

The top of the bottle holds the LED's - 2 blue lights, here is a shot showing the cord running up the bottle:

DSC00234.jpg

For a little organization, I cut off a square of breadboard and sodered the LED's into place with the board and the wires. Once taped up, I hot glued the lights (facing downward) into the top part of the neck:

DSC00235.jpg

Side shot - shows the LED's facing downward and the globs of hot glue:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/KBboehm/DSC00236.jpg

Once done, I checked for it's strength (suprisingly sturdy) then plugged it in. The first shot is with two of my lights on:

DSC00237.jpg

Next, with only one light on - notice how the light is strongest at the neck and at the bottom (the look I was going for):

94e0e9b0.jpg

Finally - with all the lights off:

DSC00239.jpg

There you have it, it took me about an hour with breaks every 5-10 minutes to watch TV :)

Unfortunetly I cut the hell out of my thumb when I was reattaching the large piece of glass - note, glass can cut you!

Overall, it was worth the time - it ended up looking like something you'd pay $30 for at the mall - cost me less than a dollar (also, I realize this isn't a PC Mod, but this is something that interests the mod community in this section of the forum)

Edited by xxkbxx
Thats awesome. Nice job!

How ya liking the dremel?

Loving that thing, I ended up getting some $80 dollar unit with a bunch of accessories, then bought a $20 kit with even more stuff

I'm still working on cutting a good circle though - I've been practicing with CD jewel cases and there's plastic all over my floor now

wish I had some kinda artistic skill (or innitiative for that matter). The only thing I can manage to be artistic with is Legos and Erector Sets. :P I have what I like to call "stupid hands". I have trouble keeping my hands steady and can't make a straight line for nothin. I can only work with material that isn't too hard to work with. Kinda like my ghetto speaker mod. Cardboard DVD drive boxes, a pair of car speakers, wire, and an Altec-Lansing BX3 sub/amp.

I have managed to make a computer desk out of an old sewin machine table if that counts for anything. Didn't really mod anything, just something most call inginuity. I lost my 'repair station" desk cause my bro moved out and it was his.

Edited by Honda_Boy

My brother was always the creative one - but he knows nothing in the world of electronics/computers. He'd be making crazy Lego castles and stuff - I'd make a perfect cube with each side a different color.

When he comes back from college for a visit I'll have a surplus of empty bottles to put lights in!

Speaking of ghetto - today at school this other kid and I put together a futon without all the parts. Some rope, screws from school desks, and a roll of duct tape later - that baby was better "n"-rigged then it would have been in the first place :thumbsup:

Hey Honda Boy, if ya found an A/C car adapter and an invtertor you could make your self a cheap set of neons :D

That's actually how I got started into the lighting thing. I wired in blue LED bars under my dash boards. Now I have those 2 bars and and orange LED dome light set on my interior lights so they turn on when the doors are open or when I lock the car. I also have another blue bar under my back seat, a white light on my amp, and a black light between my 12's (in a plexiglass box) - all are set on a switch up front. The switch itself is even cool - It's alongside my actual car lights, and when I turn on my circuit the end of the switch lights up blue.

This, as I mentioned in the past, is what you do when you're single for a while

Very cool project, xx! And glad you're enjoying your new toy :) As for cutting circles, hold the dremel like a pencil, don't grip it like a drill. If you can, place your pinkie finger on the work surface as an anchor to hold your hand steady.

Ah....darned legos! 4 years of Art College, I can draw or make anything, restoring my house....give me anything made of legos and it instantly explodes in my hands. I can't even achieve the "cube". No wonder that at Legoland in Denmark, they often have kids build the structures as they have more patience than adults! :D

Liz

how did you do the power corad just stripped it or ............

Iam looking in to making one of these

I cut off the end of it, stripped it, and soldered it, you can use anything like a cell phone charger or what-not.

I also recommend you learn how to solder, go to radioshack and spend 15 bucks for an iron and solder - it's not hard at all

That is really cool, i've always wanted to learn to do that stuff, but I never had the motivation to actually do it. Except when i got grounded for a month, then I made my graphing calculator (TI-83+ SE) play music :P

That is really cool, i've always wanted to learn to do that stuff, but I never had the motivation to actually do it. Except when i got grounded for a month, then I made my graphing calculator (TI-83+ SE) play music :P

I don't have trouble with motivation - it's the inspiration - I'm banging my head trying to figure out a new project

my goodness that is clever

im afraid i havent that sort of skill

ive put together 2 compts and i thought i was doing well

but this takes the cake

do you intend to market it

it would take off in my country l

and places like the UK

that is really clever

and i salute you

marty

Edited by martymas

thanks Marty,

I just finished tonight's project the "Bud-Night-Light"

Just dremeled a hole into the side of a bud light bottle, ran wire to the neck, 3 led's (white, blue, and green) point upward and look nicely on the wall.

I may post a pic, it's not worth its own thread

All I know is that I will be using my lit-up alcohol bottles for some easy birthday presents!

Update - the Bud-Night-Light is no more, tinkering with it and broke something. I decided to scrap it and chalk it up for education

Edited by xxkbxx

I actually have a green neon shift knob in the basement. my bro back about 6-7 years ago got it for his 88 Fiero. needless to say it wasn't there long. THey still sell the exact same one at advance and O'Reily's and maybe even NAPA where he works now. I HATE car neons though. I look at people drivin by with them on the bottom of their cars and shake my head as I look at the complete and utter waste of money (also applies to spinners, euro tail lights, ridiculosly large wheels, *note wheels not tires, oversized tires are fine*, 6 foot tall wings, body kits, etc.)

I'm still havina heck of a time comin up with any doable mod ideas though.

I agreed with you untill you got to body kits....

Anyway, xxkbxx, are your relatives rednecks?

:P

Nope - they're all yanks, I've only lived in the south for 10 years (orginally Chicago)

To clarifiy myself, all my lights are inside - I would never dare putting outside neons on a 95 Chevy Blazer. All I can say is that after high school football games I'd get out to my car - sit in the parking lot waiting for traffic to move, blast music and lights - and watch all the black girls come rolling up to the truck :thumbsup:

(I'm not joking)

Well I do know how to solder, we are taking electricty and electrons in school so i learnt that ya, Are teascher is a total dork tho, he wants use to get are project done but he will talk for half the class :P I know how to strip and solder and read resitors and such

Anything else i should know before i start this project

I need to buy some leds and such for it.

I know you broke the glass is there a way you can do it with out breaking the class?

Well I do know how to solder, we are taking electricty and electrons in school so i learnt that ya, Are teascher is a total dork tho, he wants use to get are project done but he will talk for half the class :P I know how to strip and solder and read resitors and such

Anything else i should know before i start this project

I need to buy some leds and such for it.

I know you broke the glass is there a way you can do it with out breaking the class?

You can do it without breaking glass - just be patient and sand it down with one of those green stones that come with a dremel - i did it last night with a bottle and it looks much better

Allright how much dose a dremel set me back? Is any one form canada in here?

My whole purchase was $100 American - that included the XPS 900 kit (corded) with 4 attatchments and then a $20 accessories kit.

There was another XPS 900 kit for $100 with additional accessories included.

Corded is fine, I'm glad I didn't get it cordless because of the cost. All else fails - hit up the eBay