My Firefox Bookmarks Have Disappeared

I was surfing then closed the browser but for some reason the system rebooted, well it came back on and I got back onto firefox then I noticed that my setup had changed. my theme was still there but my favorites, print, and download buttons had disappeared and the google search and bookmarks bar were back. I then went to bookmarks and they were all gone. I had a ton. Is there a way to recover them? I keep clickin for besttechie and other sites and they just ain't there. Where are they normally stored? I hafve most of the same ones on the other computer so maybe I can copy them. Please help! This really sucks.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Close Firefox

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default\

(xxx represent randome characters. There should be a folder called 'bookmarkbackups'. In there should be some HTML files. Copy the newest one back into your default folder, and name it bookmarks.html (removing the date). Restart Firefox and see if they are back.

Matt

crap it's missing from there. guess i'll have to get them off the other computer. The only prob is a ton of items from newegg and other stores that I had bookmarked for particular reasons.

ohh crap. it resets it's self everytime I turn it on. The theme and history remains but my buttons don't.

* ohh double crap, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it all my crap is still there. dang it. it still resets it's self what is up here?

** Ohh triple crap. system restore didn't work.

Edited by Honda_Boy

do the normal uninstall from add/remove programs. Then go to my computer, click on tools, folder options, show hidden folders.

next navigate to C:/documents and settings/your screenname/application data/Mozilla

remove all instances of Firefox.

then try a clean install. if it is still screwing up I would then recommend posting a Hijack This log in the malware forum for review. You might have something malicious running there.

ok I got it fixed thanks, but now I gotta go get my bookmarks from the other system AND just a few minutes ago I realized I had 3 Psychology Today articles bookmarked for school. Thank god they all came form the same place and I never read them anyway. :D

Ok I got my bookmarks from the other computer. I'll add the missin ones back on when I think about em. I'm sure if there are any missing ones other than the computer parts and the Psychology articles. Ahh well ain't gonna be nothin.