Bsd Or Slack?

jcl, I know you're a Unix Lord from way back,

I've got a line on a really old pc, it's got 64 MB RAM. Before when I tried to network BSD 5.2 through my router on another pc I couldn't get it to work for some reason. You offered me valuable assistance on my attempt.

I have an old switch kicking around and I can rig it up so I can access one of my spare static IP addresses, and not use my router. Which would be easier to network to a static IP address, Slack 9.1 or BSD 5.2? I may be constrained by hardware issues and be forced to choose one or the other anyway.

I'm thinking of giving this a shot and may need your help, man:D

hitest

Pfpfpfpf.

I've got a line on a really old pc, it's got 64 MB RAM.

Gah, that's old? 128MiB still seems huge to me. (Except when GNOME is running, of course :-/)

Before when I tried to network BSD 5.2 through my router on another pc I couldn't get it to work for some reason. You offered me valuable assistance on my attempt.

Apparently not that valuable ;-)

I have an old switch kicking around and I can rig it up so I can access one of my spare static IP addresses, and not use my router.  Which would be easier to network to a static IP address, Slack 9.1 or BSD 5.2?

Never used Slack or FreeBSD 5, but there isn't much difference between BSD and Linux as far as networking goes. In fact, if Slack is still using the BSD init system, the difference may just be a matter of how you spell the lines in /etc/rc.conf.

(On the other hand, Linux's network hardware management totally baffles me, but that probably won't make any difference.)

Pfpfpfpf.

I've got a line on a really old pc, it's got 64 MB RAM.

Gah, that's old? 128MiB still seems huge to me. (Except when GNOME is running, of course :-/)

Before when I tried to network BSD 5.2 through my router on another pc I couldn't get it to work for some reason. You offered me valuable assistance on my attempt.

Apparently not that valuable ;-)

I have an old switch kicking around and I can rig it up so I can access one of my spare static IP addresses, and not use my router.  Which would be easier to network to a static IP address, Slack 9.1 or BSD 5.2?

Never used Slack or FreeBSD 5, but there isn't much difference between BSD and Linux as far as networking goes. In fact, if Slack is still using the BSD init system, the difference may just be a matter of how you spell the lines in /etc/rc.conf.

(On the other hand, Linux's network hardware management totally baffles me, but that probably won't make any difference.)

Thanks, man!

I'm probably going to go with Slackware 9.1 first. It has auto-detection of a DHCP connection and that may be easier, it may find my router. When I tried to edit /etc/rc.conf in Free BSD 5.2 it didn't work out.

It'll also depend if Slack can identify my CD ROM drive. Last time Slack couldn't find my CD ROM drive on another computer.

Thankfully this experiment is on another unit and won't mess up my Mandrake station.

• 2 weeks later...
Take option 3: Plan-9!

-uberpenguin

Good to see you on the board, uberpenguin :D

It's a great day for open source people every where! Fire Fox, version 1.0 has finally been released! I've downloaded and installed it on my Linux box and my windows boxes as well.

Fire Fox 1.0 is awesome.